Creamer's Dream - Red Tails P-51D from the Tamiya kit in 1:32

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I haven't use the Mr. Surfacer range, so can't comment, but a simple way which should work is to use gloss varnish (not acrylic) mixed with talcum powder, to give a thick, porridge-like mix. This can be brushed into the panel lines and, when fully set, sanded smooth.

I don't follow the discussion, but Im gob smacked at how quickly and how well the model is coming up.

Great to see the Lego being ut to such clever use as well, and the individually painted ammunition is a show stopper for me....

Last edited:
Many thanks for your nice comments
In the mean time I did an experiment on the spare tail piece: I brushed some Mr Surfacer 500 and, once dry, I sanded with wet paper 500 grit followed by 6000 grit, the output seems good.

View attachment 309060

View attachment 309061

Tomorrow I will try to spray on some paint and see the result.
Alberto

Last edited by a moderator:
This might help to show the wing upper surface Alberto.

Attachments

• AAM.jpg
    AAM.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 94
This might help to show the wing upper surface Alberto.

Very nice picture Terry, many thanks.
The matter is very intriguing because in the mean time one expert o this website suggested that the putting only covered 40% of the wing starting from the leading edge as it's shown in this drawing:

p51droot.gif

That is reasonably to me as the area to be smooth I think is the one going from the leading edge to that point.

And I hope I'm right because it means less putting and sanding work for me.
Alberto

Somewhere I have the official specs for the finishing of the wing, and from memory, the 40% is correct. This takes it back to the line of the main spar, where the area from leading edge to the spar line was puttied, polished and sealed.
However, all of the remaining panel joints, except access hatches, were filled, and the entire wing surface finished in a coating of 'aluminium' paint, or dope, made from clear lacquer and aluminium powder. The flaps and ailerons, and the wing tip fairings, were bare metal, as can be seen in the photo I posted.

Somewhere I have the official specs for the finishing of the wing, and from memory, the 40% is correct. This takes it back to the line of the main spar, where the area from leading edge to the spar line was puttied, polished and sealed.
However, all of the remaining panel joints, except access hatches, were filled, and the entire wing surface finished in a coating of 'aluminium' paint, or dope, made from clear lacquer and aluminium powder. The flaps and ailerons, and the wing tip fairings, were bare metal, as can be seen in the photo I posted.

Thanks again, I started my "putting" job and I understood already that is going to be long and difficult, because what I did so far is a thick coat of diluted Mr.Surfacer sprayed only on the 40% of the wing.
Once dry, I sanded with wet 500 grit paper and panel lines aren't yet filled, so at least one more coat is needed and by then I will manage to fill all remaining panel lines.
Cheers
Alberto

Hi, while I'm struggling with puttied wings, just to relax I had a look on drop tanks.
There is a picture straight on my subject

7481e2a08c9756edc86a57a1b2d5f1-vi.jpg

It's evidently colorized but I decided to use it because the drop tank is shown painted olive drab, is it correct according to your knowlwdge?
Second, I intend to add piping from the tank to the wing, but I' not sure WHERE those pipes are connected on wing side.
Is it possible that they enter the wing through that small oval port that can be seen in this drawing

droptanklink-vi.jpg

Many thanks
Alberto

Many thanks, your pictures just answer my questions, great.
So there are two pipes, one large and one small that enter the wing by that oval port.
Alberto

Yes, one is the pressure line, and the other the fuel feed line. The rubber connection between the two metal ends of the lines, was sometimes a glass section, serving the same purpose.
When the tank was jettisoned, the rubber (or glass) section, broke away from the metal pipe, allowing the tank to drop away.
Notice also the sway braces, which were adjusted by a screw thread, to hold the tank rigid and prevent vibration or movement from side to side.

Thanks againTerry
Sway braces seems to be correct in Tamiya kit as they sit well on the tank.
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back