Creamer's Dream - Red Tails P-51D from the Tamiya kit in 1:32

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
Hi everybody,
on early december a purchased a Xmas presente for myself:

tam_60322_title.jpg

and after some research I decided to try to build the replica of this bird:

Creamers Dream.jpg

Why this subject? At least for two reason: I liked the muovie on Red Tails and there was a link with Italy as they were based in Ramitelli afb.

In addition to the kit, I also got a couple of resin add-on from Barracuda cast, dedicated decals from Zost

ZTZ32038.jpg

I also ordered to Lone Star models the special 110 Gallons drop tanks, I hope I will receive them one day ...

I almost started building it, engine first, these are a couple of pictures out of the box.

DSCN1697.JPG
DSCN1699.JPG

More to follow very, very soon.
Alberto

In the following weeks I went further, assembling and painting cockpit sides:

DSCN1710.JPG
DSCN1711.JPG
DSCN1712.JPG

and other cockpit items

DSCN1703.JPG
DSCN1713.JPG
DSCN1715.JPG

DSCN1706.JPG

on cockpit floor I tried to recreate the worn paint effect over wood planks.

The engine too has been improved a bit by adding various pipes and cables

DSCN1702.JPG
DSCN1705.JPG
DSCN1716.JPG

So this is the assembly to be inserted between fuselage halves:

DSCN1700.JPG

More to follow.
Alberto

Additionally,
I worked a bit to improve landing gear bay:

DSCN1707.JPG
DSCN1708.JPG
DSCN1709.JPG

Of course my kit will be assembled with weels down as the piping going through the walls will not allow to switch and, mainly, because I don't like a flying bird with a still propeller ...

I forgot the pilot seat, still missing belts:

DSCN1717.JPG
DSCN1718.JPG

Once they will be done, I can start assembly everything.
I hope you like my build.
Alberto

It's looking great so far Alberto.
I'm not sure about Mustangs in Italy, but WW2 Mustang pilots normally used a 'B4' type, back-pack parachute, with the seat 'bucket' being dished for a dinghy pack, clipped to the parachute harness, so the back cushion wasn't used. As far as I know, this was a post-war addition, but Bill Marshall can probably advise better than I can on this.
BTW, if for any reason the drop tanks don't turn up, let me know, as I think I have a spare set from either a Hasegawa or Dragon kit which you're welcome to. They are probably a little basic, compared to resin examples, but can easily be improved.

Last edited:
Many thanks Terry for your comment.
I still have the original Tamiya dinghy pack, so I can replace it.
The cushion I used comes from HGW seatbelts kit and it's called "dinghy" as well. May be I should have used a more yellowish colour.

Yes, I remember reading somewhere that the 'cushion' was a dinghy pack, and I've seen post-war photos of what appears to be a semi-rigid, yellow container for this. Again, I'm not sure, but I think this may have been an improved, post-war (or possibly Korean war) dinghy and survival pack addition, where presumably a seat-type parachute was used instead of the back-pack type. All photos and references I have seen (from WW2) show back-pack parachute in use with all P-51 models, whereas the P-47 pilots used a seat-type 'chute, with a dinghy and survival pack attached to the back of the harness.

I found this picture on the net
Picture1-22.jpg

the seat itself looks very similar but I didn't found any specific indication if it is referred to a war time or post-war plane.
It's called "cushion" so perahps it's applicable to my model as well. I think it's also possible that planes belonging to 332nd FG carried no raft as they were flying from the Italian Ramitelli afb to central Europe in support to BGs.
In conclusion I think that I'm probably correct, if not I apologize.
Alberto

I'm not that 'educated' in the various detail changes on the P-51D, but the kit seat, and the one in the drawing, look more like the earlier, P-51B seat, although I think that early 'D' models used the same seat. The later seat was more 'rounded', although both were designed for use with a back-pack parachute - maybe Bill can add more.
Certainly there would be no room for a cushion (or dinghy pack) on a WW2 P-51D, due to the back-pack parachute.
I have an account in a book somewhere, describing how the use of a back-pack parachute saved the life of a pilot who's P-51D broke-up in mid air, after being hit by enemy fire.
He found himself in mid air and, not realising he was still strapped into his seat, pulled the parachute ripcord. The 'chute deployed from between his back and the seat, and he landed safely in a shallow pond, still in the seat.
Had the Mustang used a seat-type pack, this could not have happened, and, not realising he was still in his seat, the pilot would (probably) have fallen to his death.
The inclusion of the dinghy pack is probably due to the kit/accessory manufacturer using a current restoration as a pattern - something which happens far too frequently, without the company concerned checking details - the Airfix 1/48th scale Bf109E is a prime example, with the wrong canopy and fully extended oleos, due to using the 'jacked-up' RAF Museum example as a pattern. This aircraft lost it's original canopy, and a 'G' type was fitted for display' The oleos are fully extended as the aircraft is now displayed supported on jacks !

That looks more like the 'D' seat I'm familiar with. Still not convinced that the 'life preserver' cushion was fitted operationally (in WW2) though. Never seen it in period photos, and only ever seen it in some preserved, museum examples.

The seats in the B/C and Mustang III were very similar to the seat in Alberto's kit, which I think were fitted to the early Block numbers of the 'D'.
As mentioned, the seat in the 'D', I think from either Block 10 or 15 onwards, had a separate seat pan and back, both dished, and with a diagonal brace between back and pan.
Incidentally, the colour of the seat is shown as Medium Green in the painting specs for the 'D' model. Also, the main wheel bays are described as being finished in a clear lacquer over bare aluminium, with the rear wall, the front of the main spar, being in Zinc Chromate.

Last edited:
Yep, that's the seat I normally associate with the 'D' and 'K' models. But I still fail to see how the back cushion could be comfortably used with a back-pack parachute !

Many thanks to all for the suggestion.
From what I learned my subject was an early 15 series of "D", with the dorsal fin fillet and N9 gunsight but no tail warninig radar etc.
I also suppose that she had canvas covered elevators.
On this subject I bought a book that shows a very interesting and helpful painting guide:
P-51D American Aces pag 45.jpg

I'm a bit scare of the "coats of filling" sprayed to most of the wings, but I try to manage.
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back