Cuban Classic Cars

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
What I know about cars could be written on the head of a pin but while I was in Cuba last week I snapped these oldies to post here so those of you who like the old ones can enjoy. More to follow.

Cheers,

Jeff

Great stuff Jeff !
A friend went to Cuba a few weeks before Christmas, and apart from cigars, all he wanted to bring back (but couldn't) was a classic car !

How have they kept them running all these years? Its hard to keep my 50 Chevy pickup in parts and at most I put 250 miles a year on it. I can't imagine keeping those beauties running as daily drivers for 50-60 years with access to the classic car parts market in the US cut off for so many years.

you don't want to look under the hood...lol. I saw a show years ago and they have morphed just about everything to fit into these cars. the bodies are close to original but powertrain and chassis are all rigged. now that relations to cuba have been relaxed here in the states I am going to try to get there in the next couple years. I hear the diving is really good.

They have complete manufacturing capabilities that make all the parts needed - body panels, engine parts, etc. Because of poor old Eastern block vehicle design the only transport they had, were what was left over from the Castro coup which usually meant anything made before 1960 - as you can see.

Great shots Jeff. I wonder how legal they would be in Canada, just in case I win the lottery. I noticed some of the vehicles have a decal on the lower door and some(most) are taxis. Company name or car club?

Geo

Notice how many have just one wiper.
Most of them are not high value collector cars, even restored.
A few of the convertibles would be worth the trouble though.
That little yellow 53-54 Plymouth I wouldn't mind having.

That is so cool to see these old classics driving down the road like the old days. Thank you for posting, a real treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back