Dec. 15, 2009- Dreamliner in the air!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v2

Captain
Nov 9, 2005
Cracow
Boeing Co.'s new 787 jetliner is finally taking to the skies, more than two years later than the company planned.
Pilots Michael Carriker and Randall Neville smoothly lifted off at about 10:30 a.m. PST from Everett's Paine Field and headed northbound on a four-hour flight over Washington state to perform a variety of basic tests and systems checks before landing at Seattle's Boeing Field.

source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34427541/ns/business-aviation/

Hi guys -- Here are a couple pics I took as the Dreamliner taxied by just prior to its first flight...a goose-bump moment! Check out the lower half of the wingtip in the lower photo. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Attachments

• P1020174_2.JPG
    P1020174_2.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 167
  • P1020187_2.JPG
    P1020187_2.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 146
Excellent shots, man..how lucky to be there at the field when all this was going on!

We were watching it in the office this morning, looked real cool rolling out.

Two things intrigued me, first was the wings and thier design and the other, was the spiral on the engine's spinners...they sure look like Jg27 spinners! :lol:

Excellent shots, man..how lucky to be there at the field when all this was going on!

We were watching it in the office this morning, looked real cool rolling out.

Two things intrigued me, first was the wings and thier design and the other, was the spiral on the engine's spinners...they sure look like Jg27 spinners! :lol:
I didn't notice the spinners at first.

Cool pictures V2.
Here's a video of the takeoff.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fucq5BoEfEI

Wheels

I believe the raked wingtips are becoming a new feature on Boeing's aircraft. I assume the engine shape reduces drag as well. Looks pretty dam cool. Thanks for posting the pics - you lucky dog!

From what I have read and been told, the spirals are there to "scare" birds away from the intake of the engines. Does it always work, no not really, but if you look at alot of the big planes, almost all engines have some sort of spiral painted on the intake.

Here are some examples.

0345153.jpg

1519940.jpg

0895862.jpg

0475659.jpg

0323164.jpg

0294185.jpg

That just amazes me.

What is more amazing to me is that the landing gear and flaps are greater contributors to landing noise than the engines of most all airplanes. Not sure what engineering went into the Dreamliner to address those mechanical systems for acoustic reductions, but certainly they were were addressed to some extent.

Thanks for the nice comments. I've heard the same thing that Matt wrote--that the serrated nacelles are to reduce noise, although I have no idea how it works. I was at the end of the runway where is started its takeoff roll, and I must say it was quieter than I expected...but quiet is a relative term! 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back