Desert P-40 video....it is real

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You can just make out the HS of 260Sqn

I can maybe make out a B but no way I see an HS. Edward's rig was a Kittyhaw MkIII with a fillet tail, unlike this one, and as far as I know, he did not crash it.

Attachments

• HS B.jpg
    HS B.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 125
The wreck has the old style roundel, with the large yellow circle, whereas all the wartime photos I have seen of HSB have the later version of the roundel. Note that the exhaust stubs are different as well.
Squadron codes like HSB would not be relegated to only one aircraft, after this E model was lost they would have used it on subsequent replacements.

Here's the news article:

The discovery of the Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk in the Sahara Desert was described by one military historian as "the aviation equivalent of Tutankhamun's Tomb."
A remarkably well-preserved fighter plane that crashed in the Sahara Desert during World War II has been found 70 years later, shedding new light on the pilot's struggle to survive.
The American-made Curtiss P-40 Kittyhawk was discovered by a Polish oil worker, Jakub Perka, who was exploring the desert in Egypt, The Telegraph newspaper reported. It was about 200 miles from the nearest town.
It is believed that the pilot, Dennis Copping, 24, ran into trouble while flying in 1942, but still managed to land the plane on the sands, the paper said.
Military historian Andy Saunders said that the British flight sergeant "must have survived the crash" because a photograph of the plane showed a parachute had been put up on the side of the plane, apparently as a form of shelter, The Telegraph reported.
"The radio and batteries were out of the plane and it looks like he tried to get it working. If he died at the side of the plane his remains would have been found," Saunders added. "Once he had crashed there, nobody was going to come and get him. It is more likely he tried to walk out of the desert, but ended up walking to his death. It is too hideous to contemplate."
He said the discovery was "the aviation equivalent of Tutankhamun's Tomb."
Air enthusiasts excited
The Vintage Wings of Canada website speculated that the plane had a mechanical problem, ran out of fuel or that the pilot simply got lost.
The website said there seemed to be a growing consensus that the plane's serial number was ET 574, based on what could be made out from photographs. If this is confirmed, the website said it was possible that Canadian flying ace James "Stocky" Edwards had previously flown the fighter.
"To say we, at Vintage Wings, are excited by this find in an understatement," the website said.
It expressed concern the plane had been "seriously vandalized -- a travesty the whole aviation world seems unable to stop."
Parades commemorate Soviet victory in World War II
Michael Creane, of the Royal Air Force Museum in London, U.K., told NBC News that it was "incredible" the plane had not been submerged by the shifting sands of the desert.
He said they were "hell bent" on bringing the aircraft to the museum, although he said there were "lots of hoops to jump through."

Good photos are available at:

Picasa Web Albums - Jakub Perka - zdj_samolot

One photo of a gun compartment cover shows it was an 87A-3, or a P-40E as we would say.

I havn't seen this post around so I'll post it here if it is around please someone link the news to me :D

World War II Airplane, Kittyhawk P-40, Found In Egyptian Desert 70 Years After Crashing (PHOTOS, VIDEO)

If I didn't post the HTML properly let me know, amazing after 70 years they found it :D I've also heard about graveyards of jeeps that the army had left behind, I wonder if there still out there in the desert :D

This would make a amazing diorama :) and looks like the Polish gentleman that found it was looking out for us modelers cause he took a ton of pictures :)

Igor

Received the latest issue of Aeroplane or FlyPast (never can remember which is which) and sadly the vandalism has started. They state that the bead site and some instruments have been removed and that some of the plexi-glass has been smashed. Sad, but I figured...

Depends who 'they' are.
Recovering a wreck in a temperate climate, with reasonable access and roads is difficult and costly enough. Multiply that by lots to do the same from the Sahara. And of course, 'they' have to be organised yet, as it seems it was a oil company survey team who discovered it, not a group of aviation archaeologists/enthusiasts.
I fear that, by the time any group gets organised, funded and on the way (if at all), that P-40 will be more of a P- not much left.

I saw recently in another thread, which I can't find now, speculation about the fate of this P-40 including conjecture that the Egyptians were making unacceptable demands for it's purchase by the British.

In fact the Royal Air Force Museum has the P-40 in secure storage (whatever that means) and has arranged to swop it for one of its Spitfires.

The RAFM has announced that Spitfire PK664 is no longer in its custody and left the RAFM Reserve Collection in February 2013. It could be that this aircraft is that to be exchanged, but that is conjecture on my part.

Here is an 'interesting' planning application made by the RAFM to its local authority......I/13/10705 | Change of Use From Exhibition Space to Office and Educational Facilities on the Upper Gallery and Removal of Cinema for New Kittyhawk Display | Royal Air Force Museum, Grahame Park Way, London, NW9 5LL

There is on going controversy over the human remains found in the vicinity of the crash site. These have still not been identified and it is still not known (as far as I know) whether these are indeed those of Copping or not. A disgraceful situation.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back