Did the USAAF Design Standards kill the P51's Climb rate?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As I recall, (and this may pertain only to the USNR) the fleet-air reserve readiness through the post-Korean war years suffered horribly, especially in materiel readiness, until about 1970 when a complete reorganization was underway to rectify the inability of the reserve units to augment the fleet forces. Don't know if this had a parallel in the ANG but the use of antiquated (WW2) equipment suggests a similar situation.

After Vietnam when the USN reserves were flying roughly comparable hardware the reserve performance often tended to surpass that of the regulars.

Last edited:
As I recall, (and this may pertain only to the USNR) the fleet-air reserve readiness through the post-Korean war years suffered horribly, especially in materiel readiness, until about 1970 when a complete reorganization was underway to rectify the inability of the reserve units to augment the fleet forces. Don't know if this had a parallel in the ANG but the use of antiquated (WW2) equipment suggests a similar situation.

After Vietnam when the USN reserves were flying roughly comparable hardware the reserve performance often tended to surpass that of the regulars.

I think it has been everthus when I was in the Territorial Army in the early 70s virtually all our kit was WWII or Korean War issue. We could still get our ancient 25 pounder guns into action quicker and more accurately than the modern 105s the regulars used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back