Dirk's 1/72 Academy Shinden "The Magnificent Lightning"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It looks much better in natural light as opposed to the camera flash.

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1829.jpg

Interior, Phase 2 - The Bomb Bay

For those following you'll remember that the bomb bay in this kit is nothing more then a gaping hole. While I'm not trying to recreate the area down to the rivet I just want to have some similarity to one.

Here is what we started with

IMG_1910.jpg

Work commences

First I applied the base color. There has been a lot of discussion over the correct color of the interior of a B-24 but I've yet to see it nailed down to a specific color. I've read the color also depended on which plant the aircraft was built at. To be completely honest I don't know which plant this particular aircraft was built at and even if I did I don' know what plants used what color. So I took some poetic licence and used Zinc Chromate Yellow. The main reason was because I've had this jar kicking around my desk for a long time and never used it. I figured it looked lonely and decided to give it a go. :ha: ;)

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

Time for some Evergreen

IMG_1946.jpg

Scratching some custom bulkheads

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

Opps, While I'm not going uber detailed I found out I had made a big mistake. I built the roof of the bomb bay facing the wrong way.

IMG_1968.jpg

Back on track

IMG_1969.jpg

Bomb racks installed

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

There will be some more touch up work to be done later on after the fuselage is attached. I realized this angle doesn't show off some of the support braces that I put in. I'll post these later.

Perfect? Not a chance. Passable? Should be.

Thanks for looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back