Disabled Marine Vet's Patriotic Stickers Under Fire

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ToughOmbre

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 18, 2007
Jersey Shore, USA
Makes me want to go to Dallas and punch the HOA board members in the face! :angry4:

Wednesday, 27 May 2009

DALLAS - Frank Larison is a disabled veteran with more than 14 years of service, including more than a year of combat duty in Vietnam.

The 58-year-old former Marine now finds himself under attack by his Dallas homeowners association for displaying seven decals on his vehicle supporting the Marine Corps.

"To me, it's being patriotic, and it shows that I served," the veteran told FOX 4.

The board says the decals are advertisements that violate HOA rules, and must be covered or removed.

Otherwise, the homeowners association for The Woodlands II on The Creek --- where Larimore has lived for eight years --- says in a letter it will tow the car at Larimore's expense. The board also threatens to fine him $50 for any future incident.

Larimore says the decals, ranging from the Marine emblem to Semper Fi slogans, aren't advertisements for anything. "You can't buy freedom," he reasoned.

Some neighbors are outraged.

"That is his identity," said neighbor Mary Castagna. "He goes to a lot of the veteran meetings, and it means a lot to him. Everyone else agrees with it; it doesn't bother anybody."

"He's in the Marines, and he's proud of it, and I don't blame him," said neighbor Paul Hardy. "If I'd gone through what he's gone through, I'd be kind of proud of it myself."

The letter from the board states you can't have any form of advertisement anywhere on your car on your property. FOX 4 cameras spotted bumper stickers for political parties, health causes, and other non-commercial interests on the property as well.

One board member said he was unaware the HOA presidents sent the letter and did not know of any issue with Larimore's vehicle.

"I will be looking into it," said board member Art Bradford. "I didn't know anything about this. I haven't seen this."

The board president was out of town and unavailable. The condo management company did not want to comment.

TO

Attachments

• Vet.jpg
    Vet.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 464
Holy crap! Is nothing sacred or respected anymore?? I can understand not having a bunch of business ads or political ads everywhere, but this guy's a FRIKKIN MARINE who was disabled in the service of his country! Show some respect, people! Apparently most of his neighbors have no problems with the stickers. My guess is its one moron (probably not American-born) who "took offense", and the HO prez ran with it. Hope they get an avalanche of negative publicity out of it and leave the poor guy alone.

To Mr. Larison: :salute: Don't change a thing!!! :salute:

That's a pretty common mindset among those who like to imagine themselves to be the doyens of 'gracious living'. They're only happy if they can control every little aspect of their genteel, color-coordinated, dandielion-free, no clotheslines, pseudo-estates...

A friend of mine got a job as a sales rep with a potato chip company. They gave him a minivan with the company logo on the sides. His HOA went crazy on him, accusing him of the horrible crime of operating a commercial business whenever he was parked in his driveway in their sterile little subdivision.

You couldn't pay me to live in one of those uptight hellholes. And screw Martha Stewart, too! :rolleyes:

JL

Bullshit! If they do not like it, they don't have to look at it. He is not doing anyone any harm by being proud of his service and his country.

I am becoming more and more disgusted every damn day!

Mr. Larison has every right in the world to display the branch of his service. That's not "advertising", that's a thing called "pride"...something the homeowners association has none of.

Screw them...in the eye, as far as advertising goes. Each and every one of those a**wipe board members are in violation of thier BS rules, since every single car they own has a manufacturer's emblem on it. That, under thier guidelines, is advertising.

Those idiots should thank Mr. Larison for his service, and go and deal with real issues.

Downright disgraceful!

But don't look for a far left organization like the ACLU to come to this marine's defense.

They're too busy trying to get the Abu Graib photos released to the world! :angry5:

TO

Horrible...it's ridiculous how oppressive these associations and many others are becoming. The more media coverage it receives the better...maybe some people will wake up and join in putting an end to this nonsense.

Does the HOA allow them to put an American flag by their house, I wonder?

Horrible...it's ridiculous how oppressive these associations and many others are becoming. The more media coverage it receives the better...maybe some people will wake up and join in putting an end to this nonsense.

Does the HOA allow them to put an American flag by their house, I wonder?

I don't know personally. The next time I meet my grandparents I'll ask that question, they used to live in a set of condominiums, and they had a HOA there I believe.

That's ridiculous not letting the Marine Veteran display his stickers. That President should be fired. The whole thing is infringing on the Marine's rights to tell people what he is.

What's wrong with this country. Seems like Obama's O banner is all people like any more if they are liberal.

Last edited:
All of these things happen because we let them happen. We give up more and more rights everyday for safety or whatever reason and now our properties are controlled by nobodies. My Dad was on a small town city council planning committee for many years and fought the other members tooth and nail to make the town more suitable for business. They wanted everyone on main street to have the same colors of buildings, houses to be all the same, and they turned down some very good job-producing businesses and ran off many potential business with their idiotic regulations. Finally my Dad just quit trying to argue with retards and resigned. There is no new businesses in this wonderful town due to their "beauty" standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back