Do-217E-4 question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Hi all,

After the P-40 is finished I want to enter a Dornier Do-217 E-4 to the heavy hitters GB. The instructions say "Grey" for the cockpit but, is it RLM 02 or RLM 66?

Being an E-series, instinct says RLM 02, but I couldn't say for sure, sorry...

I don't think anyone can say for sure! I believe that this aircraft entered production in 1940. RLM 66 was certainly appearing in cockpits at this time though not "officially" for another year. I would go with RLM 66, but there probably isn't a right or wrong here, unless you can find a photograph of your aircraft or one close to it in a production series.
Our German friends were not as efficient at following RLM directives as stereotypes would have us believe, as evidenced by the streams of directives that the RLM felt obliged to issue throughout the war. Instructions on everything from what lacquers to apply to how they should be applied, even how various finishes should be cleaned and with what! The guys in the shops clearly weren't adhereing too closely to their directives and needed "reminders".
You will find many photos of quite glossy, obviously polished Luftwaffe machines. The pilots wanted every ounce of speed they could get. An RLM inspector would have heart failiure at this ruination of their matt finish. The RLM issued orders specifically prohibiting this kind of polishing. Did it stop it? I don't think so.
A case of "I just wasn't following orders"
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back