Dog fights on the History channel

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree with you Jug, that was the goal. And sorry for the rough "butt" language. :)

Charly, I haven't seen that. The ones I have watched have that - at least most I've seen.

its ok, but mussolini´s butt should was furrowed not rough... :lol:

back to the dogfights, i have seem that episode about wwI and i cant believe the german triplane made that weird manouver "turn around by its own axis".

i also seem an episode of israeli air force, the guy talking about an egiptian mig 21 pilot who make an unbelievable manouver, like, stops in the air by vertical totally straight few meters from the dusty ground of desert.

should dogfights contains some "fisher stories" ?

IIRC the Dr I was very manuevarable and that is what made it so dangerous. Not many planes could do things like that.

One of those episodes also has a P-51 side-slipping to avoid a Bf 109 and getting off a snap shot.

I saw that episode too, NJACO. And it wasn't a side slip, but rather an almost cobra-like maneuver. The pilot notes that the maneuver required full aft stick and right full rudder. While the graphics were certainly crude, it looked like the result was immediate loss of airspeed and spin induced. The maneuver was noted as being dangerous because of possibility of stall (and thus easy target during recovery). Looked more dangerous because you might exceed max wing loading. The maneuver looked physically impossible, but again I think that was poor graphics demonstrating the real phyics and 3-dimensional relationship between the P-51 and Bf-109.

Side-slip was just a quick reference. :) You're right, I stood up from my chair and I think I actually cheered like at a football game. It was amazing even if the graphics were doozy.

It might be inaccurate, but one thing to remember is by that time the Luftwaffe had lost almost all of its good pilots. They had planes left but no pilots. So they put some young guys with no training in the planes and sent them off to die as the luftwaffe last hurray.

It might be inaccurate, but one thing to remember is by that time the Luftwaffe had lost almost all of its good pilots. They had planes left but no pilots. So they put some young guys with no training in the planes and sent them off to die as the luftwaffe last hurray.
Really? And where did you come up with that?

I think it's just one two hour episode. I saw the second half a while back and I wasn't impressed. Partly because they made the F-22 look too superior to other aircraft. I mean, it's a great plane, but I'm sure more than one would be shot down when attacked by I think two waves of Russian planes.

I think it's just one two hour episode. I saw the second half a while back and I wasn't impressed. Partly because they made the F-22 look too superior to other aircraft. I mean, it's a great plane, but I'm sure more than one would be shot down when attacked by I think two waves of Russian planes.

I had several long conversations with a RAF Wing CO of Eurofighters and F-22 pilots at Davis Monthan back in April. I was particularly interested in the RAF pilot observations.

His primary observation was that it was 'that good'.

He felt he might have a chance if he could just get a visual on the F-22 but the experience in the joint exercises is that you 'were dead' long before a visual sighting was possible.

He also commented that the Euro was a better ACM a/c than the F-15 and 16 but the game today for the 'conventional' a/c is the bigger radar and the longer range missles - that the vision of the 60's is reality today.

I had several long conversations with a RAF Wing CO of Eurofighters and F-22 pilots at Davis Monthan back in April. I was particularly interested in the RAF pilot observations.

His primary observation was that it was 'that good'.

He felt he might have a chance if he could just get a visual on the F-22 but the experience in the joint exercises is that you 'were dead' long before a visual sighting was possible.

He also commented that the Euro was a better ACM a/c than the F-15 and 16 but the game today for the 'conventional' a/c is the bigger radar and the longer range missles - that the vision of the 60's is reality today.
Heh, sounds exactly as I imagined. But in the show, didn't the Su-47 get in visual range of the F-22? it's been a while since I saw it.

It's sounds pretty cool. This time the show will have REAL planes flying in it.

About: Showdown: Air Combat: Military Channel

SHOWDOWN: AIR COMBAT has not been cancelled! We're just taking a little time to finish up the last couple of episodes. New SHOWDOWNS are on their way!

The Military Channel takes you on an aerial journey with a world premiere series, SHOWDOWN: AIR COMBAT.

Tune in and see recreations of history's most compelling dogfights with the restored aircraft from every era of aerial warfare flying against each other.

U.S. Air Force Major Paul "Max" Moga of the Air Combat Command's 1st Fighter Wing hosts the series and offers amazing insight into each aircraft's strengths and weaknesses, its place in the evolutionary timeline of aircraft design innovation and the ground-breaking dogfighting tactics employed in each confrontation.

From a chase plane, Major Moga provides play-by-play commentary of the fast-paced action as you fly alongside these historic warbirds.

But the show is not just a celebration of the aircraft's technical glory, Major Moga also introduces you to the extraordinary pilots who flew these planes on their original missions.

Although they're real, they hardly dogfight with them. For the majority of the show they still use 3D models, which aren't as good as Dogfight's. Most of the planes are from Chino's Planes of Fame. Also I think the narrator's a little annoying. It's probably just me, but it sounds like he's bragging about being an F-22 pilot.

As for using 109s and 190s, I'm guessing rebuilds.

I think it's dead. But maybe competition from "Showdown: Air Combat" might bring it back.

Bummer. They got a new head over at the History channel. Some chick with a BC resume. Hard core lib. Gone from shows like dogfights to Ice Road Truckers and Ax Men. I guess it must be working for them. Lost me it doesn't seem to bother them that much.

Bummer. They got a new head over at the History channel. Some chick with a BC resume. Hard core lib. Gone from shows like dogfights to Ice Road Truckers and Ax Men. I guess it must be working for them. Lost me it doesn't seem to bother them that much.

Time for a wee email to History Channel, asking what the f*ck Ice Road Truckers and Ax Men have to do wit history????:twisted: :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back