**** DONE: 1/32 F4U-1A 17740 - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys!

Yeah Dave, I've seen some people go nuts! I don't have the inclination to do so, especially since I'm at the painting stage mostly. With me not being able to work on it consistently, I need to kind of build it while I'm able to, plus there's not much time left.

Good stuff Cory. May not be worth using expensive Alclad just for the chipped areas. The stories of failures are often attributed to one or more bad batches but so far I've not encountered any issues with my limited selection of Alclads.

Well, as it turns out I used Flat Silver. It looked ok, but maybe I'll try Alclad for round two. I sprayed some MIG chipping fluid, but I obviously didn't use enough or did something wrong as after I applied the YZC, it would not budge. I should have experimented before doing it on the actual model, but no real harm done. Tomorrow I'll take some scrap pieces and try hairspray, as I couldn't get much of a coating spraying the MIG stuff out of the airbrush.

Thanks Wayne!

Quick question, how do you guys suggest I do the white on the bottom? I will be weathering it and using washes, but should I use straight white, or is there a mixture I should use to knock down the brightness?

Good stuff so far Cory - but not so sure about those 1/2 scale feet !
For a dull, 'dirty' white, you could add just a tiny smidgen of grey to the mix, or alternatively, apply a random wash once the white has fully dried.
Another way would be to start with a base-coat of very light grey, then spray the white in a 'patchy' manner, to allow a weathered, faded look.

I was planning on painting the entire aircraft black and then putting the camo on top of that, maybe that will be enough then. If not, I'll toss some grey in. Thanks Terry, wasn't sure what colour I'd mix in!

Good suggestions from Terry. I always avoid the pure whites and blacks on my models. Your plan of dong a black base coat should work as well and will allow you to control the depth of the white and also give a bit of a patchy effect if you take your time and apply the white in thin coats. I've not tried this method myself but would like to some day.

I'll probably be doing it today, so we'll find out!

The following is actually one step behind of where I'm actually at, as the black base coat has gone on. I was hoping to do the dark blue last night but the airbrush needed to be dunked in thinner as somehow black paint ended up everywhere in it. It sprayed on the kit ok, but something was wonky...

Looks a bit goofy in these photos with all the different colours! I got the chipping to work with regular old hairspray. The key is to put more than enough on, as when I started chipping I noticed I definitely didn't have as much on one side of the fuselage because it was very hard work to get any of the YZC off. Luckily the side you climb into was the better applied side. I made sure to hit it very well this time.

A5CF203A-65BE-488E-BA19-DF8C2850AD06_zpshd6xua6s.jpg

D64466EC-41F6-4EBC-A007-FBE68999F30B_zpsbqcggucd.jpg

AE8150C9-98C5-4C2E-A7F7-75F69E1A024B_zpspp6wa616.jpg

A3576D3E-AE70-4942-85AC-839C29AE6952_zps9ktadjmq.jpg

7B143594-DEE8-4882-B5CA-F89323BA1033_zpsvndi2o70.jpg

37170C29-EABC-4D92-BD92-99DACDADFEDA_zpsmakz7jay.jpg

Thanks guys! Only got the non-specular sea blue on yesterday. Just didn't feel like painting anymore. I started with what is supposedly Tamiya's mix, but it's not even anywhere close to the proper colour. I'll try to get a decent picture of what it came out as later today, as the lighting's horrible right now due to rain. The black basing technique turned out very well though, so I'll be using it in the future. Don't know how the chipping has worked yet though.

Every thing looks real nice so far Cory. I'll be looking for the result of the chipping. Never did it that way myself, always went the easy rout of dabbing on silver.

Thanks Glenn and Terry.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow as the lighting is bad, but it's all painted. Some touchups will be needed but overall it turned out well! The white sprayed like absolute garbage though, so some tape was needed for that unfortunately. Haven't chipped it yet, but some tape took some of the paint off (very little) where the hairspray is and so far that looks ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back