**** DONE: 1/32 Fw 190D-9 - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! I actually enjoy certain types of putty work while detesting others. Generally, the more accessible the area is, the better I like it. I hate having to fill joints that are tucked into corners. And steps... I hate dealing with overhangs and steps!

Still trying to bash out the gun cowling modification. Thin skin coat of putty didn't like the adhesive of the Dymo tape and after I had rescribed the panel lines, I ended up a couple steps backward. Having major putty repair on the imminent horizon, I decided to add the circular aperture at this point. This was just thin sheet of styrene double-punched with my mini-punch set.
IMG_0845_zps8tdnjeca.jpg

A couple iterations of Mr Surfacer 1000 brought me back to the pre-primer stage.
IMG_0846_zpsyp8ww9kb.jpg

Looks pretty good after the primer coat... just a few imperfections and tiny bubbles that need to be filled.
IMG_0847_zpsz3moeg3p.jpg

After the small repairs, I added the three small rivets between the gun barrel openings using a jewelry punch set. Primer coat for final check... a-ok.
IMG_0849_zpsgnwtvf8n.jpg

IMG_0850_zpshitg65ck.jpg

The cowling isn't QUITE finished though. I am still wanting to apply rivets to this Dora but I haven't worked up enough courage to start the process yet. I went as far as marking the tail stabs but my measurements were off and I aborted. Soon I'll have to force myself over the cliff.

Thank you guys! Baby steps on the Dora for now but I've finally gotten the nerve to put some rivets on. Wanted to tackle something simple first to get my feet wet and start developing a feel for how this is done... something small... relatively flat... regularly spaced and straight rivet patterns. I figured the tail stabilizers would be a good place to start.

Using some scale drawings of the Dora, I pencilled off the rivet patterns.
IMG_0868_zpsncpppc1p.jpg

Having run the RB Productions Rivet-R on spare pieces of plastic, I felt confident that I could keep a straight line without having to lay down a straight edge for each run. I used Tamiya tape to mark off the borders of the front to back rivet lines since they didn't go edge to edge. Very far from perfect but alright for a first step.
IMG_0869_zpsx98rmyap.jpg

The riveted side was sanded lightly to reduce the raised plastic around each rivet hole. Here's a comparison between the riveted stab and the unriveted stab. I put some dark wash in the rivets to see how the rivets would hold a wash.
IMG_0870_zpselhn0ufd.jpg

The process was repeated for each side of the stabilizers. Wasn't quick work but I can see myself getting more proficient as I get the hang of the tool.
IMG_0871_zpspvrj4bik.jpg

Can you show a picture of the tool you used for the rivets?. I've done it with a small drill and didn't know there was a specialized tool available unless its that wheel shaped thing(can't think of what its called)

:notworthy: Excellent work. Will have to see a photo of your collection of finished models some day. As fast as you're churning these out, there must be a warehouse somewhere. :)

Can you show a picture of the tool you used for the rivets?. I've done it with a small drill and didn't know there was a specialized tool available unless its that wheel shaped thing(can't think of what its called)

It is essentially a ponce wheel geared specifically for scale modeling. Radu at RB Productions produces this particular set, which is comprised of photo-etched components meant to be mounted on an x-acto handle.
IMG_0875_zpsitdoqgz4.jpg

:notworthy: Excellent work. Will have to see a photo of your collection of finished models some day. As fast as you're churning these out, there must be a warehouse somewhere. :)

Thank you! This is my entire collection. I've only re-started this hobby a few years ago after long hiatus so I don't have too many birds in the nest yet. The only missing model is my 1/32 scale Revell 109G-10 Erla which I auctioned off at a charity event a few nights ago.
IMG_0879_zpszed5lguo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back