**** DONE: 1/32 Fw 190D-9 - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Amazing. With your skill at such a large scale, it should look like an old photo come to life. :)

Thanks! There's definitely nice things about working in 1/32 scale as opposed to my normal 1/48.

Very nice work. I might have painted the false wall of the plug black to decrease the chance it would be seen through the wheel well but I love the rest.

Black would've been a better choice but I DID confirm that the plug wall isn't visible from the wheel well opening.

Now that the engine plug is finished, I can attached it and the cockpit into to the starboard fuselage side.
IMG_1214_zpsplizpxgj.jpg

The other fuselage side was glued into place, taped and set aside to dry. In the meantime, I finished up the Revi gunsight, which was part of the MDC cockpit set. I used a piece of clear plastic sheet for the glass carefully cut with scissors. I tried a little thicker plastic this time so that I could paint the edges of the rear glass blueish-green.
IMG_1215_zpsslex8i5j.jpg

IMG_1216_zpsomi7uyu2.jpg

Here is the fuselage assembly. Note the opening in the cockpit coaming for the gunsight.
IMG_1217_zpsoqqxbjhh.jpg

From my understanding, the coaming padding should be continuous around the gun sight as depicted below:
yellow15.jpg

So I added a piece of styrene rod to the opening. I'm hoping that the gunsight will fit into that hole!
IMG_1218_zps0dbbm1li.jpg

A little more work on the Dora... the cockpit coaming over the instrument panel has been cleaned up and painted.
IMG_1219_zpsneolprvr.jpg

IMG_1220_zpsxlwdyxlj.jpg

There is a tiny scoop on the gun cowling that needed to be hollowed out. I'll probably leave this part off until the cowling is attached just in case I need to work on the seam.
IMG_1222_zpsriwncsp1.jpg

The wheel well tub is a separate piece that has some nice detail molded in. On the negative side, there are some tough to reach ejector pin marks that require cleanup.
IMG_1221_zpsw4ioxwsf.jpg

The wheel well after painting and weathering. The wing cannon and boots were painted and placed in the wheel well. I won't be cementing the gun barrels into place until after painting but wheel well assembly looks cool with the guns in place. The only thing I've added here is a strand of wire (the yellow one).
IMG_1224_zps7og81nkv.jpg

IMG_1225_zpsnvdjgdfl.jpg

Here are the main landing gear struts with some wiring added. These will be painted and weathered along with the doors, main wheels and tail wheel.
IMG_1227_zps3x2xfhsn.jpg

I agree, beaut work John.
The instrument panel seems to be sitting a bit low beneath the coaming, but I'm guessing it looks right with the cockpit closed up.

Thanks guys! I'm really enjoying this build now that the toil of the riveting is behind me and it's even more fun when the kit is so good. I'm still plodding along with the painting of the landing gear. Black base coat... Alclad Chrome on the sliding struts... masking... RLM 02 on the struts... highlighting with lightened RLM 02... gloss coat... decals... gloss coat... pin wash... it's a long process even for the small parts! I still need to finalize the pin wash and then I'll flat coat and do final weathering with the airbrush and colored pencils. Will have an update soon!

I agree, beaut work John.
The instrument panel seems to be sitting a bit low beneath the coaming, but I'm guessing it looks right with the cockpit closed up.

YesTerry... the IP is a bit undersized and sits low but the gap between the top edge of the IP and the inside of the fuselage is not visible when viewed from the outside so I didn't bother shimming it.

I thought that might be the case John.
Just check the colour for the gear legs - this preserved FW-190A-8 at Cosford appears to have RLM 66 on the legs.

J Kim 2.jpg

I thought that might be the case John.
Just check the colour for the gear legs - this preserved FW-190A-8 at Cosford appears to have RLM 66 on the legs.

View attachment 342119

Thanks for pic Terry! I went with RLM02 on my Dora's legs and I've gone too far down the river to change it. It'll be a weathered RLM02 so it's not too far away from what's depicted on your A-8 photo. The pic also gives me some direction on how to orient the brake line. Do you (or anyone else) happen to have a picture of the wheel? I'm wondering if the Dora wheel hub has the brake tubing like the Ju88...

Ju88A-KG106-M2FH-France-1942-185f-s_zpsktkzukwu.jpg

IMG_0297_zpskwtuwcmt.jpg

I'm guessing not based on the pictures of restored aircraft but maybe they leave stuff off like that on non-operational exhibits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back