**** DONE: 1/48 Arado Ar234B-2 - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

From the stash Andy:

Pic 1: B-2 cockpit mock-up, port
Pic 2: B-2 cockpit mock-up, port
Pic 3: Ar 234B-2 (F1 + MT, W.nr. 140173), 'the first Arado jet bomber captured almost undamaged' according to the caption.
Pic 4: Cockpit drawing

STA51380.JPG

STA51381.JPG

STA51382.JPG

STA51383.JPG

Sources:
1-3: 'Bombers of the Luftwaffe' by Joachim Dressel and Manfried Griehl
4: 'Camouflage and Markings: Luftwaffe 1939-1945' compiled by Mike Reynolds

For Vick. Hase makes a day bomber/ rec and night fighter version . Really nice kits . Here are the boxtops including the promodeler C version boxing. Im sure sprue shots will be posted shortly. There are a few nice builds of this scheme on hyperscale and one here that I liked ,not too long ago. Appears he was banned lol.

Attachments

• Book.jpg
    Book.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Boxtops.jpg
    Boxtops.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Pmbox.jpg
    Pmbox.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Thanks for those pics Evan - great stuff.

In addition to those pics that Vic posted in #11, I have a number of others taken from different angles as well as close ups of the tail.

As to sprue shots, here you go. The model is about 10 years old, the decals and instruction sheet being printed in 2002.

13020301.jpg

13020303.jpg

13020306.jpg

13020304.jpg

13020311.jpg

13020310.jpg

Here are some close ups of the parts. The kit includes two recon cameras which will go into the spares box as my subject was not a recon bird.

13020309.jpg

13020313.jpg

Plenty of opportunity to add detail to these rather sparse wheel wells:

13020307.jpg

The cockpit tub is pretty nice. A little bit of added wiring will bring it to life.

13020312.jpg

13020308.jpg

Surface detail is not bad but I think Eduard hold the unsurpassed honour as the best in this scale in my opinion.

13020305.jpg

Not suprisingly, the decals are barely adequate. Despite being readily evident in many pictures of F1+MT, the WNr decals are omitted for this marking option and the M and T are a bit too elongated. I think I will make do though and make my own WNr and use the kit decals as the photos show that these were oversprayed a bit with the sloppy application of the RLM 76.

13020302.jpg

Lots of clear parts here. The nose area is arguably the most interesting feature of this aircraft so the glazing will need to feature prominently. The parts assemble into a complete fuselage/greenhouse that connects to the rest of the fuselage just ahead of the wings. Some areas of the clear parts therefore need to be painted the solid camo colours. On the real aircraft, the canopy framing was on the inside and the glazing was attechd to the outside of the framing with aluminum coloured flush rivets. The kit parts have the framing standing proud of the glazing - not quite realistc but adequate. Maybe the vac-form parts that Terry has offered up will be better.

13020314.jpg

13020316.jpg

13020315.jpg

Not readily seen here is a bit of a downer on the nose cap. This part should be completely clear glazing but unfortunately there is a very thin mold line running right down the vertical axis that will need to be sanded away and the area repolished.

13020318.jpg

13020317.jpg

There you go. A tour of the kit.

Good stuff Andy, and I've e-mailed the pics of the vac-form canopy and the instructions. For the benefit of others, here are the vac-form canopy parts.

Attachments

• Can Jan 686.jpg
    Can Jan 686.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 97
Not bad at all Vic but I expect there will be fit issues, as reported by a few reviewers. We'll see!

I include below the balance of the pics I have on this aircraft. These were sent to me by Jason, who did the fine Do335 model, before he went and got himself kicked off the forum. Wayne, if you have any others that have not been posted yet in this thread, I'd appreciate seeing them. You have my e-mail.

What I'd really like to see is the RAE report confirming the camo colours.

Ar 234 close up.jpg

Ar 234 Tail.jpg

AR243photo(1).jpg

F1 MT Side.jpg

Nice looking kit Andy looking forward to it.

Here ya go, see if i can get them better and email them to you...

Source Wings of the Black Cross.

Attachments

• Arado Pic_3585.jpg
    Arado Pic_3585.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Arado Pic_3587.jpg
    Arado Pic_3587.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 139
I double checked the canopy and the canopy on my hobbycraft was a tad too big when installed, so I had to sand it flush to fit the section needed on one side :S

Started snipping sprues.....

The cockpit of this aircraft features prominently in this model and Hasegawa does a good job of providing lots of good detail. Still, there's always room for improvement and I'll be modifying and adding bits here and there. I've displayed below the assemblies that have been prepared for painting.

13020802.jpg

In the above pic, the separate parts are the seat back and bomb sight. On the seat back, I've glued on the armrests with one folded up and the other in its down position. The seat cushion is once again made of Milliput and I made this piece at the same time as I made the one for my Dora. For the bomb sight, I'm going to have to scour my references to see what colours, if any, the various dials and knobs were. Also seen in the above pic are some tiny forks where the pedals will go. These were carefully cut from the kit-supplied pedals as shown below and will form the backing for the Eduard PE pedals that I stole from my Dora.

13020801.jpg

This is another view of the pit so far.

13020803.jpg

Next set of pics will show some painting, assembly and added details. See you then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back