**** DONE: 1/48 Brewster Buffalo - Allied Manufactured Aircraft (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ohm-men

Senior Airman
Jan 11, 2014
Antwerp
User Name: Ohm-men
Name : Jerry
Category : Intermediate
Kit : Tamiya Brewster Bufallo
Scale : 1/48
Accessories : Eduard Cockpit set, Decal set.

My subject for my first group build will be the older Tamiya Brewster Bufallo.
My goal is to finish it as an R.A.F. Aircraft operated over Burma; W8245/RD-D of No 67 Sqn, flown by Sgt G A Williams, using a decal set I got a while back.
I'm gonna use a "resqued kit" I bought at a model show a few years back. kit was started by a previous owner, though only the cockpit was done and fuselage glued together. I took everything apart and stripped all the paint, so I can start over.
More to come...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the GB! Looking forward to seeing your Buffalo. The Tamiya kit was one that I was considering for this GB. It was a choice between short/stubby and short/sleek... short/sleek won.

Thanks all for the encouragement!
I've been reading up on the Buffalo the last few days and it's a bit like sticking your hand in a bees nest... (ventral window, type of underside colour used, interior colour, etc...)
There is a great tread on Brittmodeller on the type, that I read with great intrest and answers most of the the above mentioned questions. (I think Buffnut 453, participated a lot in this tread; when looking at his sig ;))

I'm a bit inclined to do a Belgian Buffalo, but I'm going ahead with the RAF ship Williams flew in Burma since I have the necesary decals already and I like the small nose art on this example.

So far, I haven't started on the kit yet. Cleaned all the parts and will likely start witht he cockpit this week-end. I'm glad I did the research.
Anyway, tomorrow there is a big model show held in the Antwerp region that I will be attending.
Perhaps I'll pick up some goodies for this build if I can find any.
Since next week I'll have more time on my hands, I hope to make some progress!

Last edited:
Thanks all for the encouragement!
I've been reading up on the Buffalo the last few days and it's a bit like sticking your hand in a bees nest... (ventral window, type of underside colour used, interior colour, etc...)
There is a great tread on Brittmodeller on the type, that I read with great intrest and answers most of the the above mentioned questions. (I think Buffnut 453, participated a lot in this tread; when looking at his sig ;))

Guilty as charged, m'Lud! Told you I could bore for NATO! :)

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have many questions for you,when this build advances.
So far I found your opinion on the US. equivalent of "Sky" most interesting.
Still a bit puzzled over the colour of the landing gear legs. Though those are worries for later on!

Did the Bufallo had specific wheels? Or did they use simelar wheels to other (Navy) aircraft? (In case I want to replace the tamiya kits wheels)

I finally started the kit! The Eduard Zoom set is nice but fidly...
I have to do something about the wheel wells and the general lack of a "firewall" between the the cockpit and the wheel well...

Though the overall fit and detail of the kit is quiet nice. I hope some additional details will enhance this kit a bit more.
I hope to post some pics soon! Looks like a fun build and a nice chance to vacu models ;)

I managed to get a few things done. I decided to make a square cutout in the bulkhead aft of the pilot's seat. The RAF seat sat in two "gliders" in the real thing. I'm gonna try to recreate this. Acourding to some builds I looked at, the RAF examples caried an armour plate sandwiched between this bulkhead and the seat.
I also made a "firewall" that seperates the cockpit from the wheel well. This will block a vieuw through from the wheel well into the cockpit.

DSCF2904.JPG

DSCF2906.JPG

For te rest I did a bit of work on the actual "office" not much, but it's a start.

DSCF2905.JPG

DSCF2907.JPG

Since there are some sink marks on the aft cockpit decking, I'm gonna put a thin piece of plastic card over this. This will eliminate the seam as well. On to of that I can glue the "roll over bar with the headrest".

but to my surprise, the old Tamiya kit fits rather well. Though some minor aplication of puty on some parts will be necesary.
Next will be some more detailing to the cockpit and instalment of the rest of the Eduard parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit more work done last night.
Started painting the cockpit, these are the fist layers of paint. I hope to detail the pit a bit more.
But it gives a general idea. Not all Eduard photo etch parts have been installed up to this point.
DSCF2911.JPG

The reason I have to do something about the aft cockpit decking, rather nasty seam with sink marks.
DSCF2909.JPG

And I started on the engine and seat as well. Just the base, detail still has to be added.
I think the Eduard Zoom st only provides a seat harnas for the Navy version. So I have to do something extra for the RAF version.
DSCF2912.JPG

And the landing gear. HAd to sand some seams here as well. I started by painting the legs white. Seams like a good base.
I also "shaped" one of the wheels to acceptable shape... The kit wheels are rather poor imho, but these will have to do as I didn't fdind anything Bufallo related last week at the big model venue.
DSCF2913.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back