**** DONE: 1/48 Brewster Buffalo - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all again for the nice comments and encouragement! :)
I'm really enjoying this build. To think I had this kit on sitting on the shelve for the past 5 years or so. Despite it's age, it's a really nice kit. Lovely detail out of the box and the Eduard Zoom set is just right imho to spuce things up a bit. Instructions could be better, but I'm not complaining.
I think this kit needs an aftermarket canopy, but I could not find one. Hence the use of the kit parts/bash.
I normally don't build Allied WWII aircraft, been a Luftwaffe buff for long, but I got a bit bored with Splinter camo and RLM colours, so the R.A.F Bufallo is a welcome change! I'm glad I participated in this group build.

Thanks for all the kind words!:)
I made more progress the last few days. I started with the topside camo.
After some debate, I decided to start with the green. I mixed my own shade for this paint, based on some info I found on Britmodeller.
My goal was to achive a worn Buffalo. From what I read, in the Osprey volume, the R.A.F. buffalo's were under constant treath. So the groundcrews did everything to keep 'em in the air. Also the Japanese pics after the surrender show worn out Buffalo's.

But, it's tricky not to overdo such worn paintjob. So I tried not to overdo it on this model.
I hope I succeeded. You be the judge!

Here's the model with the green pain already on. The original shade is a bit darker then R.A.F. green, as it was an US. colour. (from what I read)
I tried a new technique, at least for me. Puting the camo on with rolls of blue tack. (It isn't really blue tack, but Poster Buddy, the closest equivalent I could find...)
I used the Scale Decals painting guide for this camo. It matches the sole picture I could find of the Plane flown by Gordon Williams.
Took me a few applicatians of the stuff to get it right.
DSCF2960.JPG

DSCF2961.JPG

To keep overspray to a minimum (and repainting afterwards) I used masking tape to cover up the green segmants of the camo.
DSCF2962.JPG

Which worked like a charm, as everthing turned out quiet nice imho.
I used Humbrol's Dark Earth as the base colour for the brown segments, lighted with some ochre, and a tiny bit of white.
Both green and brown are three different shades build up to achieve this;
Pics are a bit oversaturated, but I'm happy with the tones of both green and brown.
DSCF2964.JPG

DSCF2965.JPG

DSCF2966.JPG

Next will be a coat of future as a base for the decals. Thanks again for looking!

Great work on the camo pattern! Using blu-tack (or similar) is one way I have not tried although I've seen many successful applications of this technique. Can't wait to see how it all turns out... I have a feeling it's going to look VERY good!

Thanks all! So far I got the airframe futured (after a few small touch ups) and I hope to put some decals on tonight.
I almost forgot the sky fuselage band, so this was sprayed on last night. I was ready for the decals and while glancing over the sheet, I realized there was something missing on my model...Ooops...The Skye fuselage band. Loaded up the airbrush, took out the masking tape and got it fixed....
(Though I managed to put the decals on the N1K2 though...)
Pics to follow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back