**** DONE: 1/48 Curtis P-36C Hawk – From WW1 to WW2 GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff George, and let's hope it goes together easier than the A4. I must admit, I've never had a fit problem with HC kits (so far), they've all gone together without problems.

Thanks guys and Terry, this is a walk in the park. The fuselage parts are slightly warped but nothing brute force and some clamps can't handle. Should be completely together tonight. Hobbycraft would have you glue the innards to a fuselage half and then join the halves together. Test fitting shows that it will be easier to insert the pieces from the bottom after the halves are joined.

002.JPG
004.JPG

Thanks for checking in.

Geo

Something I remember from the last one I built George. Don't install the seat until after the cockpit is installed or else it's imposable to smooth out the seam between the top of the bulkhead behind the seat and the spot where the headrest is glued to. This is all one piece in the P-36 and that seam sticks out like a sore thumb with metallic paint on it if you don't work on it some. I had to pull my seat out to fix it but fortunately didn't break anything.

Edit: Just realized you already had the seat mounted. If you think removing the seat will damage it don't. Mine wasn't glued down too solidly so it came out with out breaking.

Last edited:
That warp shouldn't be much of an issue. The problem comes when both pieces warp the same way and the whole assembly gets a curve but it doesn't look like you have that. And good advice Glenn.

WHOA.... thanks for the heads up Glenn. Thankfully the seat was only sitting for a portrait shot. Copious amounts of Gator Glue, tape and clamps have cured the warp Andy. Working on the wings, engine, and under carriage. Also need to fill in the holes for the antenna and ring and bead sight. Checking through my references to find out where the antenna enters the wings from the tail. Gotta find this invisible mending thread everyone is talking about. Pictures later today.

Thanks for checking in,
Geo

Innards glued to the outtards.

011.JPG

This is the seam Glenn mentioned. Debations on what to use a filler.

016.JPG

Prop, engine and seat. I'm hoping the back of the blades were flat black because that's what they ended up as. As for the prop blade that's circled(RLM04) any thoughts as to what is on the blade as I have nothing in my stock that looks like that. Wings, under-carriage and filler next. Thankfully, it's not A-4 filler like.:rolleyes:

018.JPG

Capture.JPG

Thanks for checking in,
Geo

I think whats on the blade is the manufacturer or some sort of info. about the blade itself (test piece etc?)

its looking good so far :)

Looks like you have that bulkhead lined up pretty well. I used thick superglue and accelerator as a filler and used a flat needle file on it followed fine wet dry sandpaper.

I looked at all my pictures of P-36s and found that prop mark on quite a few of them although not any close-ups. Not sure what it is, sort of looks like a diagonal stripe of some kind. The best picture I have of it is below. Maybe someone else has a close up of it.

Something else I thought of to tell you is the windscreen framing. There is none, except the outside framing. The P-36 as well as the early P-40s had a windscreen made up of one piece of plexiglas. Inside there were two thin pairs of brace rods that went from a bar across the top of the windscreen down to the structure behind (or rather ahead) of the control panel.(see pictures) For a long time these brace wires have been mistaken for windscreen frames so that they are molded into just about every model of the P-36 and early P-40 including all the HobbyCraft ones (It's actually correct for the Hawk 75 M/N/O but that doesn't apply here, completely different windscreen). You can sand the raised lines off, sand and polish the windscreen and try to add brace rods inside, or do what I did and leave the molded lines and just not paint them. I think the unpainted mould lines look like a pretty good representation of the thin brace rods in this scale.

Attachments

• 4561525521_1a333bd5cc_o.jpg
    4561525521_1a333bd5cc_o.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 75
  • hpqscan0001.jpg
    hpqscan0001.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 96
  • hpqscan0002.jpg
    hpqscan0002.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 92
Excellent photos once again Glenn. That will make painting the wind screen so much easier. As I mentioned before, no where near the mud as with the A-4.

003.JPG
006.JPG

Adding break lines to the landing gear and may have to modify the covers. Test fit for the wings(glue still drying)shows a very tight fit.

Geo

Coming along smartly, Geo....

Wayne Little said:
Wow, thats warped.....like some people here.... not naming names or nothing.....

Just sayin' ....

Charles

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back