**** DONE: 1/48 Curtis P-36C Hawk – From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the responses all and now it starts. The wing/fuselage join is tight(popped a seam underneath), however, once it is in place there is a lot of play.
002.JPG
The one piece tail wheel insert appears to be bowed inwards so will require some work, other than that, a piece 'o cake. Packing for camp now, bus leaves in 4hrs. It's the start of my 7on/7off shift so I'm outta here until next Wednesday. Have a great week gentlemen.

Geo

Hah, never made seven days. I had to burn holidays so I've got the next 14 days off. Going to concentrate on the A-4 to make the deadline and think about the wing/fuselage gap on this thing.

Thanks for checking in.

Geo

A-4 is done. Time to continue with this little beastie. As mentioned in our last episode, the one piece tail wheel insert looked a wee bit gappy. I chose to follow Crimea_Rivers advice and used the ARC article on gap filling and was most impressed. As a couple of the gaps are fairly wide I'll let it dry and do it again tomorrow. The article mentions using Squadron filler but I used Bondo® Glazing and Spot Putty and you have to remove it immediately. Also not the tabs glued to the fuselage to stop the wings from going in too far. Fairly large gaps at the front join and the top of the wings/fuselage join. Adding dihedral will solve the top of the wing join but might increase the front gaps. Any suggestions as to the gluing sequence for these joins. This is no where near as bad as the A-4.

002.JPG

008.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

Thanks for looking in,

Geo

I think you've done already what I would have - added card inserts at front and rear wing joins (inside the fuselage) to provide a backing for later filling. Then cement the wings the way you said, and fill and sand the joins after.

Great work so far mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back