**** DONE: 1/48 Curtis P-36C Hawk – From WW1 to WW2 GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
User Name: Fubar57
Name: George
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Kit: Hobbycraft
Accessories: None, but hey, it's Hobbycraft, might add tears.

013.JPG

007.JPG

009.JPG

Yes...it's another Hobbycraft. I've always liked the looks of the Hawk in the colors of Norway when they trained in "Little Norway", Canada. Then I looked at the date for the decal option and it read 1940. Crep.

012.JPG

Then I remembered I had some decals for the 27th Pursuit Squadron in experimental camouflage in 1939 that suits my "unique schemes" to a T.
014.JPG

Some images from the interwebs.

p-36.JPG
P-3627PS001z3a.jpg
P-3627PS002z2b.jpg
P-3627PS003b.jpg
scan0022c.jpg

I have found at least three different color combinations, two with five colors and one with six which includes lavender and orange(?). I'm going with this one.

z.JPG

Geo

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool George! I love the wild camo they used at the 39' air races. I did one of my P-36s in the scheme of the squadron commander's plane a wile ago.

Here are some links to a series of very useful detail shots of the Hawk they have at Duxford. I used them quite a bit wile building my Hawk 75 for the foreign service build.
Curtis Hawk 75 Part 1
Curtis Hawk 75 Part 2 Cockpit Interior
Curtis Hawk 75 Part 3 Engine
Curtis Hawk 75 Part 4 Undercarridge
Curtis Hawk 75 Part 5 Underside
Curtis Hawk 75 Assembly First Flight

Thanks guys and many thanks for posting the great links Glenn. I found that site a couple of days ago, forgot to bookmark it and have been going crazy since. On another forum I read that if the aircraft was in NMF, then the interior was not painted interior green. As this aircraft had a temporary paint job, that's the way I'm going. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Geo

As far as I know all Air Corps P-36s had a bare aluminum finish in the cockpit. I have book at home with cockpit interior shots of the one at the Air Force Museum. I'll try to find it tonight and scan it. That aircraft's interior is not complete but you can still see the colors.

Whilst waiting for my current problem with the A-4 resolves itself(Gad, I hate white paint), I will carry on with this. I noticed on some reference photos didn't mold a bar across the top of the seat frame so I made this from the spare pitot tube. The seat belt look like the attach to this bar. (Sorry for the lighting but we are experiencing freezing rain for the day, very nasty stuff, this is.)

005.JPG
010.JPG

Detail of the fuselage halves...good enough for me.

006.JPG
007.JPG

Glue at a 103° angle...nailed it for the first time ever.

009.JPG

Waiting for the first coat to dry on the halves and for the cockpit floor to dry. More later today.

Geo

Waiting for the second coat to dry and I found another picture.(From the book Combat Colours-Scale Aircraft Modelling-Guideline Publications) So, this will be the fourth color combination. :shock: Imma stickin' with my chosen subject.

Capture.JPG

Geo

Thanks all and again, thanks Glenn for the photos. I used two different shades in the cockpit and dry-brushed some interior green on the rudder pedals though it's kind of hard to see in the photos. I also tried to add dials on the I.P. for the first time by using semi-gloss black over white. Not accurate or pretty but good enough when everything is sealed up. Citadel Mud for the wash, a little heavy perhaps. The seat is waiting for belts before it gets glued in.

004.JPG
003.JPG

002.JPG
001.JPG

Geo

EDIT: In T Bolts photo, is the lever on the left side of the seat attached to the seat. If so, I could make that. I'll await an answer,yes/no/maybe/I don't know before I do.

Last edited:
Looking real good George. That lever is mounted on the sidewall as you can see at the bottom left of this picture

Attachments

• P-36 lft cp.jpg
    P-36 lft cp.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 215

Users who are viewing this thread

Back