**** DONE: 1/48 Harrier GR9,4(AC) Sqn RAF - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Terry, I have a small table vice that locks down to a smooth surface with suction. It also has soft, thick rubber jaws and holds the model without hurting it. I got mine at a local Lowes Home center for twenty bucks. It's made by Bessy and is infinitely adjustable. If you want I can get one and send it to you. And the Harrier is looking spot on sir.

ECHOED to the extreme!
Same offer here!
(not to steal your thunder, my friend!)

ECHOED to the extreme!
Same offer here!
(not to steal your thunder, my friend!)

Thanks very much indeed chaps, it's very much appreciated.
And thanks Aaron and M for the very kind offer. I actually have a vice like that, which I find very useful. However, holding the model, or even the airbrush, is not the problem. It's the inability to be able to operate the trigger properly any more, since the tendon snapped. I no longer have the articulation in the fingers to be able to press the trigger, and pull it back - I can do one or the other, but not both and, of course, have lost precise control for fine-line work or delicate work such as mottle camouflage. BUT!
I have been experimenting, and, with practice, and maybe by adapting the shaft of the brush, I think I might get around the problem, to an extent. I'm guessing it'll mean doing the job(s) in much shorter stages, and taking a lot longer to complete these stages, but if it works, I'll be reasonably happy. Time will tell !
Not much else to show at the moment, as the weather has changed again, with a 20 degree drop in temperature (central heating has been switched off/on/off/on !), and wet - so feeling very stiff today. I'll have a break, then get back to it asap.
Thanks again for all your kind words and encouragement - not going to let this beat me, especially as it's the main, possibly only, real pleasure and enjoyment I have these days.

Thanks Vic, I appreciate it.
Thought I'd do something fairly easy, and removed the mould lines from the canopy and windscreen, and polished them. Just noticed a bl**dy stress fracture in the windscreen, which happened when I cut off the sprue attachment points - B*ll*cks!
The clear parts are very brittle, and not much I can do about the mark, so hoping a coat of 'Future', and the dark background of the instrument shroud, will disguise most of it. Pics hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks Wayne. This bl**dy crack in the windscreen is annoying me, but not a lot I can do about it. Still (slowly) working on polishing out the mould lines, but they're stubborn - must be the type of plastic - and don't want to exert too much pressure, or the part will break. I really wish manufacturers wouldn't mould parts this way!
Might have pics later, if my hands allow it.

No, it's just on the outside of both canopy and windscreen Glenn. Just carefully scrape it off with the edge of a scalpel blade, then polish out the dull remains, using 'T-Cut', followed by toothpaste, then a dip in 'Future'.

Another late night, but at least most of the windscreen, and part of the canopy, has been completed.
PICS 1 and 2. Show the HUD, assembled from two clear parts, then fitted in place, and painted to represent the metal support frame work. The areas around this were re-touched before fitting the canopy
PIC 3. The windscreen, masked, and with the outer frame painted, and the black heat-sink sealer showing over the masking. The stress mark is clearly visible, but the moulding seam is all but gone. A coat of 'Future' should not only make the screen look better, but should hopefully go some way to disguising that bl**dy crack !
PICS 4 and 5. The windscreen in place. The joints will be re-touched, leaving the actual joint visible as per the real aircraft, and the screen itself has yet to be cleaned, polished, and then have a coat of 'Future' applied. Still bl**dy annoyed about that stress mark though!
Next step is to get the canopy to fit the frame, then paint the edge framing and the rim seals.
Thanks again for your continued interest and good wishes, and I hope yo post another up-date soon.

Attachments

• New Harrier build 230.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 47
  • New Harrier build 246.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 51
  • New Harrier build 250.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 52
  • New Harrier build 256.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 61
  • New Harrier build 268.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 49

Users who are viewing this thread