**** DONE: 1/48 Harrier GR9,4(AC) Sqn RAF - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The pub was mediocre tonight, and I wasn't in the mood anyway - struggled to drink a couple of pints, and came home early.
But - it got me out of the house for a couple of hours, and another test-fit has now confirmed I'm on the right track.
Should have this sorted tomorrow, hopefully with minimal, or maybe no filler - pics when it's done.

The pub was mediocre tonight, and I wasn't in the mood anyway - struggled to drink a couple of pints, and came home early.
But - it got me out of the house for a couple of hours, and another test-fit has now confirmed I'm on the right track.
Should have this sorted tomorrow, hopefully with minimal, or maybe no filler - pics when it's done.
Perseverance is the key to drinking well, I am a master of that.
Plane is looking good also!

I agree, but everything tasted cr@p - even when I moved on to Guinness! Not the fault of the beers or the pub - I wasn't feeling brilliant, so a waste of effort and money!
Anyway, after some heavy filing all around the fuselage locating points, and on the wing flanges, the wing is now correctly fitted, and final sanding and polishing is under way. A couple of very small gaps need filling, and this will be done with PVA.
PIC 1. The forward, upper joint, nicely bedded-in, but not yet sanded or polished.
PIC 2. This small gap at the wing root will be filled, sanded and polished later, and the leading edge seams sanded also.
PIC 3. The upper rear joint, not yet sanded or polished.
PIC 4, The underside wing fillet, with sanding under way. Any remaining gaps or bumps will be filled as required.
PIC 5. The wing tips are in two parts, and have been assembled and fitted. The joints will be filled with PVA once fully set. Again, Revell have made an error in the instruction sheet, and show the tips transposed which, if assembled as per the instructions, would lead to the tips being upside down!
PIC 6. The fin and intake have been assembled and fitted, and the joints await filling, again using PVA.
PIC 7. Ventral fin rear assembly in place, but joints not yet filled.
Once all the sanding and polishing has been completed, the rest of the main construction should be straightforward (I hope!), and then the first stage of painting can commence. Items such as wing pylons, landing gear etc will be added after the main painting has been done.
Thanks for your interest and kind comments, and I'll post another up-date over the weekend, or maybe later tonight.

Attachments

• New Harrier build 095.jpg
    New Harrier build 095.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 83
  • New Harrier build 096.jpg
    New Harrier build 096.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 77
  • New Harrier build 097.jpg
    New Harrier build 097.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 78
  • New Harrier build 108.jpg
    New Harrier build 108.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 59
  • New Harrier build 103.jpg
    New Harrier build 103.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 80
  • New Harrier build 109.jpg
    New Harrier build 109.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 81
  • New Harrier build 110.jpg
    New Harrier build 110.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 73
Thanks Andy and Glenn, it's getting there. And yes, it's quite a collection of complex shapes - must have been a lot of planning to achieve the mould design for the kits, in order to capture the shape and allow relative ease of parts fit. It's quite big too, with the fuselage being approximately 12 inches long (approx. 300 mm).

Thanks very much chaps.
Lots of progress in a long stint at the work bench today. Most of the lumps, bumps, pipes and scoops have been fitted, all joints and seams filled and sanded (with a few exceptions), the tail planes fitted, and it's almost ready for the first painting stage.
PIC 1. Shows the tail planes and RWR pod fitted, ready for clean-up.
PIC 2. The upper intakes in place, and the forward wing joint filled and lightly sanded.
PIC 3. The flight re-fuelling probe fitted, with the slight gap at the joint filled with PVA, which, of course, has dried clear. The moulding seam has yet to be removed, a job which is easier once the part is firmly glued in place.
PIC 4. The instrument shroud fitted, with the HUD projector in place below it. The reflector screens will be fitted towards the end of the build.
PIC 5. Underside panels and ILS antenna in place. Also fitted, but not in this shot, is the rear flare/chaff dispenser pod.
PIC 6. What the model looks like to date, with the main construction complete as far as it needs to go before painting.
Next step is to clean and polish the whole model, especially those areas which have been sanded, then check for any areas which might need more filler, before applying the first coat of grey overall.
The under wing pylons, antenna, landing gear etc, will be fitted after painting and decalling.
Thanks again for your continued interest and, all being well, i hope to get some paint sprayed over the weekend.

Attachments

• New Harrier build 113.jpg
    New Harrier build 113.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 49
  • New Harrier build 115.jpg
    New Harrier build 115.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 62
  • New Harrier build 122.jpg
    New Harrier build 122.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 70
  • New Harrier build 118.jpg
    New Harrier build 118.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 73
  • New Harrier build 123.jpg
    New Harrier build 123.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 71
  • New Harrier build 127.jpg
    New Harrier build 127.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 76
Wow, looks wunderbar Airframes! Seriuosly that's just fun stuff, Terry. I'm just following in awe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back