**** DONE: 1/48 Harrier GR9,4(AC) Sqn RAF - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much chaps, it's much appreciated. Just cleaning the model and about to start painting - not quite decided whether to use a mix, with Humbrol satin or matt paints, followed by clear gloss, or whether to use Xtracolour gloss, from the range of 'modern' RAF paints I've had for about 20 years!
Gloss gives a decal-ready finish, but the matt or satin is more forgiving, and better for pencil work etc. Hmm, decisions, decisions ....

What a good idea! Think I'l think about it, then think about going to the pub to think some more about it, whilst sinking pints and thinking .... I think!

Thanks again chaps. Got delayed starting the painting, but it's now masked and ready, and just about to apply the first coat - before going to the pub!
Finally decide to use a mix of two Humbrol satin greys, to achieve the desired 'Camouflage Grey', rather than go the gloss route this time. Main reason is because of all the complex curves, nooks and crannies - places where a free-flowing gloss paint can pool, run or sag.
Hope to have some pics sometime tomorrow.

Hmm. Got the first coat on, and quite surprised that the Humbrol satin enamel worked very well, going on smooth and even (normally dries patchy and sticky, taking ages to harden fully).
BUT - it's a touch too light in shade. Looked right when mixed, but not on the model. No problem, I'm about to re-mix and give it another coat.
Here's what it looks like now - more pics after the re-spray.

Attachments

• New Harrier build 130.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 59
Thanks very much chaps.
I've now got the re-spray done, with the model looking more like it should. Paints used were Humbrol enamels No.165 (satin) Medium Sea Grey, with a spot of Matt White, No.34, to produce a close resemblance to the 'Camouflage Grey', BS381C626 used on the actual aircraft. Other parts such as the speed brake, wing tanks and pylons have also been painted, ready for fitting later.
Next step, after some very light panel line work, is to give the model a coat of clear gloss, once the paint has fully hardened after around 24 hours, followed by the decals and detail painting, before proceeding with the rest of the construction stages.
Thanks once again for your interest and complimentary comments, and I hope to post another update tomorrow night

Attachments

• New Harrier build 138.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 70
  • New Harrier build 143.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 64
  • New Harrier build 140.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 59

Users who are viewing this thread