**** DONE: 1/48 Hawker Typhoon 1B - Mediterranean Theater of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone for checking in and leaving your comments! I'll remember the tip about wiping off the residue from the BluTack. This one is fast approaching completion as I got a lot done today.

Time for decals! I cut out the aircraft code letters from a set of Aviaeology 1/48 black 8" RAF codes.
IMG_7354_zps91304962.jpg

I got a nice Christmas present from Andy... a pair of white RAF "Y" codes for my DN323... Thank you very much sir! In my haste to get them ready, I tore off a little corner of one of the "Y". Should not be a problem. Per Andy's suggestion, I shot them with a light coat of gloss since they are old.
IMG_7355_zpse6aac935.jpg

Here is the torn "Y" decal in place. I shot this one with a spot of clear and then carefully masked the corner of the "Y".
IMG_7356_zps83dd18dc.jpg

The "Y" is fixed. Not a perfect masking job but it should be adequate after all of the weathering.
IMG_7357_zps5bbea9e8.jpg

Not too many decals on this bird. One thing about the decals... the Techmod decals were ditched in favor of the kit stickers, at least for the main insignias. After an initial test on one of the unused decals (it ripped during application), I sprayed them with a light clear coat. But I could get them to conform to the panel lines despite multiple applications of Microset/Microsol. The Hasegawa decals weren't much better but they settled down a little better.
IMG_7358_zpsd44bb286.jpg

IMG_7359_zps6175736a.jpg

After the decals, I gave the model a spray of flat. I noticed that the decals along the panel lines lifted after spending lots of time getting them to conform. Does anyone know... would a clear gloss coat prior to the flat help keep decals down? I didn't have many decals with lots of clear carrier so I just went straight to the flat coat.

IMG_7360_zps8c35259d.jpg

IMG_7361_zpsd661bcf8.jpg

IMG_7362_zps8400ed9b.jpg

Some views of the weathering in outside light...
IMG_7364_zps9497f3fe.jpg

IMG_7365_zps96a1ade9.jpg

IMG_7366_zpsd06ab445.jpg

IMG_7368_zpsd0b3a71e.jpg

All I have to do are the fiddly bits, which have already been pre-painted. I leave off with a picture of the wingtip lights. I went to the trouble of drilling little holes and filling the holes with green and red paint to simulate the light bulbs. These were attached with white glue but wouldn't you know it... one dropped off somewhere.
IMG_7369_zps5548d05d.jpg

The fiddly bits are all attached including the door in the open position. This model should be done but I spent the last couple of hours grinding out a replacement light for the wing tip and it doesn't fit very well. I've glued it in place with proper modeling glue. It'll take some grinding and polishing tomorrow to get it took reasonable... the last thing I wanted to do since that will most likely require some repainting/weathering on both the top and bottom of the wing tips... arrgh!

If all goes well, I should have some pictures tomorrow with everything attached!

Glad that the decals arrived in time John. The model looks great! Not sure what you mean by the decals "lifting" but it sounds like you have some air trapped under the decal in the panel line. To cure that, put a small dab of decal solution on the trouble spot and prick the decal with a very sharp pin. Give the solution maybe 5 to 10 seconds to settle in underneath the decal then wick off any excess with a tissue. Then don't touch it til dry. You can repeat as necessary.

Glad that the decals arrived in time John. The model looks great! Not sure what you mean by the decals "lifting" but it sounds like you have some air trapped under the decal in the panel line. To cure that, put a small dab of decal solution on the trouble spot and prick the decal with a very sharp pin. Give the solution maybe 5 to 10 seconds to settle in underneath the decal then wick off any excess with a tissue. Then don't touch it til dry. You can repeat as necessary.

I went a step beyond that! I cut the decals along the panel lines with a new X-Acto blade. That plus dabbing the decals down with multiple applications of Micro Sol seemed to settle the decals down into the panel lines but after the flat had been applied, the decals lifted up from the panel lines somewhat.

The wingtip light is finished! Here's a picture about 1/2 through the process... the rough shape in place and needing to be sanded and polished.
JTK_4649_zpsc3e6ce6a.jpg

Here's a shot of the car door with a few details added...
JTK_4648_zpsd9fa565c.jpg

Landing gear and bombs are attached. The kit parts for the little antennas on the bottom have sprue attachments right in the middle... so instead of trying to trim them, I just replaced them with stretched sprue.
JTK_4694_zpsce68b70a.jpg

Door is attached... nothing more to add!
JTK_4702_zpsb07f374a.jpg

That does it for this Desert Typhoon! Call er done!
JTK_4678_zps4bed9916.jpg

JTK_4697_zps6a6d18c0.jpg

JTK_4706_zps3fc8aa58.jpg

JTK_4711_zpse47df813.jpg

I will put up a FINISHED post soon!

In case anyone is interested, here is how the scratchbuilt wingtip light turned out...
IMGP7206-2_zpsdbcc6533.jpg

Some closeup perspectives...
IMGP7201-2_zps2b4de228.jpg

IMGP7202-2_zps367fcd81.jpg

IMGP7203-2_zps3fcc46fb.jpg

Those details look excellent John. My only comment might be that the cockpit colour on the door looks more like zinc chromate than interior green.

Thanks Andy! That color is a home-mixed green. It's not exactly zinc chromate but it's probably closer to chromate than interior green. I guess I need to be docked for accuracy... I'm good at detail but not that great at accuracy, if that makes any sense!

It does. The internet provides lots of references for colours and we can help as well. Don't hesitate to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back