**** DONE: 1/48 Hawker Typhoon 1B - Mediterranean Theater of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks good John. I believe this is a pic of the cockpit from a car-door Tiffie:

Typhoon Pit 3.jpg

Thanks for that cockpit shot. I don't see anything that really contradicts what I've done so far with the possible exception of the gunsight and tubular framing in that area.

Ok,let's jump into that fuselage! The cockpit is connected by two small pins on each side of the inner fuselage that correspond to holes in the corners of the tubular frame. Not the most positive of connections but a bit of extra glue helps to secure it.
IMG_7283_zps1cc22067.jpg

I used Tamiya Extra Thin liquid glue to attach the modular inserts to the fuselage from the inside. Mistake #1... The connection of the inserts to the fuselage does not fall along panel lines so I need to address the seam regardless of how nice the glue job goes. So I ended up compromising the fit of the inserts along the fuselage sides in the hopes of getting rid of the seam line at the top.

IMG_7285_zps18e323ee.jpg

You can see Mistake #2 in the photo above... I couldn't get rid of the seam line at the top of the fuselage! :evil: Heh... I guess I was overly optimistic in my pre-fitting assessment. The area to the rear of the cockpit seems like it can be closed fairly well.

IMG_7286_zpsc06b7bae.jpg

But the front area is going to require a shim.

IMG_7288_zpse0919336.jpg

IMG_7289_zps4454f340.jpg

You can see a bit of overhang in the fit at the rear of the insert pieces. I see a fair bit of sanding work ahead of me.
IMG_7290_zpsbb61d8e3.jpg

Definitely not what I was planning for. I'll have to brush up on my scribing skills because that sanding is going to remove some panel lines. I guess that's modeling!

I shoulda just taken my lumps and accepted a joint at the top but I got greedy and now I have to deal with the fuselage sides (much harder) AND the top seam!

Progress report... spent most of my time addressing the fuselage seams. In between steps waiting for Mr Surfacer to dry, I worked on odds and ends.

Added some wiring to the wheel wells.
IMG_7299_zps60d728bb.jpg

Drilled out the cannon barrels.
IMG_7300_zps14234beb.jpg

Cut the resin exhausts from their casting blocks and tried them on for fit. Much better looking than the kit pipes!
IMG_7303_zps6ca292ae.jpg

IMG_7306_zps4986d720.jpg

The fuselage work was getting rid of the seam between the rear fuselage inserts and the main fuselage since that joint does not fall along a panel line. Because of the slight overhand between the insert and the fuselage, there was lots of delicate sanding. And then I had to restore panel lines that were lost. I don't have much experience scribing panel lines so it took me a long time. My main problem was the long panel lines... I essentially had to "connect the dots". Using a scribing tool and a scrap piece of photoetch sprue as a flexible straight edge, I would start the new panel line in the existing one but by the time I got to the other side, I would be off by a hair. So I would keep as much as was salvageable, fill in the rest with Mr Surfacer, let that dry, sand, buff and scribe again. Slowly I got there. Not perfect, but I can live with it.

IMG_7301_zps8e042445.jpg

IMG_7302_zpsb2f01240.jpg

Added some vanes on the radiator intake.
IMG_7308_zps0f007172.jpg

Radiator was installed after the fuselage was glued together so that I could tidy up the seam on the inside of the intake.
IMG_7310_zps49bcd687.jpg

Landing gear struts with brake wire and weathering.
IMG_7309_zpsed01a1e8.jpg

Bombs.
IMG_7312_zpsfc3d7a9a.jpg

Canopy is masked.
IMG_7314_zps2aa1b5ca.jpg

Wheels are painted.
IMG_7315_zpsb3c6f890.jpg

I'm thinking about showing the car door open. It's such a unique feature and it gives a decent view into the cockpit.
IMG_7319_zps8f7bd5f0.jpg

The wings and tail planes have been added.
IMG_7320_zps1caccf7e.jpg

IMG_7323_zpsc9b664db.jpg

Lovely work, John. I would vote for the door open. I agree that it is a unique aspect of the early tiffies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back