**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire MkIX - Mediterranean Theater of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If you can get your hands on a tube I recommend it.
Canopies are on and masked, nearly ready for some paint.

Attachments

• IMG_2188.JPG
    IMG_2188.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 76
Lower colour is on. It's supposed to be PRU blue but I had to settle for RAF blue, the picture does look more greyer then it actually is. Brush painted with Humbrol enamel.

Attachments

• IMG_2189.JPG
    IMG_2189.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 85
Nice tip about the putty... will have to look into that! I'd be a little worried about the wing root seam cracking after painting ... I've had that happen before.

Coming along nicely Andy and thanks for the heads-up on the putty, it certainly filled those gaps well and I could have done with it on my last couple Special Hobby Spit builds which had the same wing tip problem.

Thanks guys. I've got her up on its undercarriage now and have applied a gloss coat ready for decaling. For some reason the gloss coat went all white and chalky. After the initial panic a few more coats were applied which managed to cover it all up, why would this happen?? I use Humbrol gloss coat which I've used on my last four or five models and never experienced this before, I haven't changed anything in regards to paint types and brands. The centre canopy section has suffered unfortunately as there is a "patch" of fogged, almost scuffed looking plastic that I haven't been able to polish out. A few extra coats of clear gloss as improved it a bit, so I might add some more in the morning and see how it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_2193.JPG
    IMG_2193.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2194.JPG
    IMG_2194.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 74
What have you used for applying of the gloss coat? A brush? Possible it wasn't too clear of already used thinners , colours or water . Also it might have been caused by the air dampness and temperature.

Thanks guys. I think Wojtek might have been right re using a dirty paint brush on the initial coat of gloss. The canopy is still not to my liking but its passable I suppose. Anyway got the decaling done today and what stress!! Red Roo decals are excellent decals however they are extremely thin and require great care, well I made a meal of both serials to the point that I had to make up most of the letters and numbers from the spares box. Again not perfect but passable :(

Attachments

• IMG_2195.JPG
    IMG_2195.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2196.JPG
    IMG_2196.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2197.JPG
    IMG_2197.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2198.JPG
    IMG_2198.JPG