**** DONE: 1/48 JM-1 Marauder - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Terry. Though I'm still a ways a way from the step, the instructions have one installing the gear almost halfway through the build. Is it possible to install the gear after paint and decals?

Geo

Not quite finished with the cockpit but I owe ya. Not to happy with the weathering on the seat or the black bottle on the bulkhead or the seat so I work on those when I get home next week. I think I read in one of my books that the cockpit floor was covered in rubber so I'll be looking into that when I get home as well.

Done for another week, camp bus in 90 minutes. Have a good week gentlemen.

Geo

Good stuff Geo, and have a safe trip back to camp.
Re the cockpit floor - I've only seen photos of preserved aircraft and the 'Flak Bait' cockpit, with one B&W period pic. The preserved shots show Interior Green floor, and the B&W pic, although not conclusive, appears to be a similar tone. It's very possible that early B-26 models had a rubber floor mat or covering, but probably/possibly omitted later, to save on weight and construction time.
As for the landing gear, I looked at ways of fitting it after construction and painting, but ended up wrapping it in aluminium kitchen foil, and filling the wheel bays with damp tissue, omitting the bay doors, when I painted my model.

Thanks guys. Cockpit is done and setting up...

Hmmmmm.....dry fit of wheel wells to wing. Also, like Terry, I don't see a way to mount the landing gear after the halves are joined.

Geo

Thank you Wayne. Tail feathers need a bit of persuasion.

Test fitting the landing gear to the wing showed what I believed to be a severe forward rake. It took quite a while going through books and online searching before I found a photo that said all was good. Once the gear is dry, I will, unfortunately, glue it to the wing section and then start gluing the nacelles together. Reading reviews and dry fitting show that none of this will go together smoothly. I may have to purchase another tube of mud.

Geo

Rarely use the black one's, lots of jaw force. Trying to figure an assembly plan to minimize the oncoming damage to the sticky-outy parts has been on the past hours agenda. The landing gear has been push fit into position, it has enough grab on its own to stay in place while handling. This way I can leave off the even flimsier retraction struts and the gear closing thingees until the end. The retraction struts and landing gear have to be glued together and then everything leaned forward so the struts can be glued into the well. I've glued the inner nacelle using tube glue and when it is almost set I will glue the outer nacelle have in and join them both together....I hope.

You can see how close the landing gear is to the nacelle preventing it from being installed later. Once set, the mud will fly...good bye rivets.

Geo

OK...here's where it sits...

"A" and "C" will require some work. Note that "B" is an almost perfect match. I went for the best match in front to avoid having to redo the vents. Once the nacelle/wing joins have set sufficiently, I'll match up the front and bomb it with super glue....I hope. Three more parts to add to this little nightmare and from what I've read, they are no better. Gosh, I hope the port wing is easier.

As an aside, I tried different combinations of nacelle parts to see if they were mis-numbered but no...sigh

Geo

Last edited:
Thanks Dr. Gnomey and Kevin. Once the super glue has set up. I'll tackle the nacelle/upper wing join. Dry fitting reveals wee little gaps...

These aren't really too bad. I think there's a warp so I'll glue the nacelle/upper wing join first and then the wing halves..

Geo

Yep, but at least I can flood the seam from the inside. The rear of the wheel well has been roughed in and a test fit of the nacelle cone(?) shows a bit of a gap though not the ¼" that I've read about in another review.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread