**** DONE: 1/48 P-38J - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Undercarriage and gear doors are now on and all the engine cowl weights have been added (5c coins putty!). I've had to cut out small strips of plastic card to represent the windows in the down position. The clear parts for these windows are quite crap as they don't fit between the two canopy sections being a couple of mm too small. It looks better this way as I'm modelling the top canopy in the open position. Next step is to attach the bombs and do a bit of touch up painting.

Attachments

• IMG_9948.JPG
    IMG_9948.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9950.JPG
    IMG_9950.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9949.JPG
    IMG_9949.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 86
well she's done! Not the worlds greatest model, but at least she looks like a P-38! I'll try and put up all the mandatory shots tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_9961.JPG
    IMG_9961.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_9960.JPG
    IMG_9960.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_9959.JPG
    IMG_9959.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9958.JPG
    IMG_9958.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 97
They're portrayed in the open position Andy, slotted down in the fuselage, like car windows. The upper frame (painted red) protrudes, as shown, and normally has the legend 'No Step', to prevent damage when entering or exiting the cockpit.

That's a really nice looking model. The plan view really captures the unique design of the P-38; some real vision from the design team when it's compared with more conventionally designed aircraft of the period.

Thanks fr the explanation guys. I've not built a Lightning yet so have not researched it much. I thought the sides folded out like on the P-51B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back