**** DONE: 1/48 P-51D Mustang - Aircraft Nose Art GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Latest update,main assemblies together and undercoated with Tamiya semi gloss black. I'm pretty happy with the seams on the model so far, not too much filler needed at all. I'll leave the paint cure for a couple of days and then it's time for the aluminium finish (although I have to say the black Mustang looks pretty cool!)

DSC_0001_zpsa5ae15e0.gif

DSC_0003_zpsfd94ab4e.gif

Cheers guys. I have been a mess of masking tape, post-its and silver fingers, but some more progress!

I have been busy with Testors metalizers and am quite pleased with the effects so far (although it has not been without its frustrations!). I did the wings first and kept them flat for a painted look, adding in metalized ammo covers (not accurate I'm sure, but it adds some tonal variation) then I masked off selected fuselage panels so they have different amounts of paint on them so there is some tone and texture variation. Slow business though! Definitely getting there; olive drab anti glare to paint on, some minor touch ups needed here and there and then adding all of the detailed bits and pieces before decalling.

006_zpsd660ce37.gif

005_zpsab50b874.gif

004_zps1ad5378c.gif

Doing a bit of late catch-up her so welcome to the GB Steve and what a nice iconic build you are doing. One can never go wrong with a Mustang and good progress on the build.

Thanks very much guys.A bit more progress with Estrellita III - most of the main insignia decals on, a wash applied and now just awaiting stencilling and drop tanks before she's completed. I had some difficulties getting the Aeromaster decals to perform over the metalizer even with the use of microsol and micro set. I'm guessing that a gloss finish would have made it easier but then I think I would have lost some of the metallic effect...

DSC_0005_zps50233dd0.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back