**** DONE: 1/48 P51D Mustang - Aircraft Nose Art GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

deckape

Staff Sergeant
Jul 26, 2011
Moraine Ohio U.S.A.
Username Deckape
Name Franklyn or boats
Category intermediate
Scale 1/48
Manufacture Revell
After market parts None SOB.

Ahoy

Here is my introduction of the Revell P51-D Mustang in 1/48 scale this will be covered with aluminum foil along with the kit decals which are gorgeous and will fill the bill on the model. I will start on it this evening fellas
Boats

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 217
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 206
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 189
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 188
Last edited by a moderator:
Fine, Boats! The old Monogram kit is a good one!
Remember that the wings of the P-51 were puttied and painted with an aluminimun paint. So they will be dull compaired to the fuselage, which would often be shiny.
As a fellow foil fanatic, I wish you luck!

Last edited:
Unless this Mustang is armed with bombs Boats, it might not be considered as a 'Heavy Hitter', we'd need to see what the other judges say.
If building it out of the box, as a 78th FG aircraft, then this group certainly used bombs on their earlier P-47s, on some ground attack missions in 1944, but not sure, without checking, about their Mustangs, which they didn't get until January 1945.

Surely we're talking about the Nose Art GB. It's fine for that.

The only problems I had with this kit were some badly warped wings and also the lack of dihedral which should be remedied.

Yep, ignore my other post - I'm getting confused with which GB is which! Must be my time of life!
The P-51 is fine for this GB, excellent in fact!

Nice, very interesting choice :) good material on her too :)

Ahoy Fellas
Thankis everyone for your wonderful replies, I will start on this this evening, I have another posting od my Albatross then I will post the Group build first update build report. Thank you fellas for everything.
Boats

.......with your coat Terry :lol:
Should be a good one Boats. I've build it a few times but not recently. I remember it being hard to make the gun bay doors look good if you closed them up, but that was quite a wile ago (high school?) when my modeling skills were considerably less.

Ahoy
Thanks you everyone for your wonderful replies on my mustang. In the beginning I started construction on the cockpit compartment and joined the fuselage together I painted inside Chromate green and gave it a light wash of flat black paint and set aside to dry. when dried I joined the fuselage halves together and prepare for the aluminum foil covering. on the next update the covering of the fuselage will be added. Not a bad kit I never assembled one of these before looks like a fast and enjoyable build. no bad fit issues goes together very well. The alum9inum f9oinish will fill the bill on the build.Here is the update build report for the nose art group build.

Boats

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 150
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 152
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 161
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 165
  • PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 142
  • PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 158
  • PICT0007.JPG
    PICT0007.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 145
Ahoy
Thank you Andy for your wonderful reply. As of now I am laying down the aluminum foil you can see the natural aluminum in all its splender being added to the model, I should have the fuselage finished by tomorrow.. When using kitchen foil the build goes quick specially on all natural aluminum finishes, When laying down the foil just follow the panel lines on the lkit and remove the area you don't want to be covered this is the trick when using aluminum foil.

Boats

Attachments

• PICT0007.JPG
    PICT0007.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 147
  • PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 158
  • PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 146
  • PICT0010.JPG