**** DONE: 1/48 P-39 Airacobra - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Dr. Gnomey. Test drove the landing gear and as suspected, the beastie is tail heavy, by a lot. I have no idea where I could have stuffed in more weight without severely modifying the nose gear. C'est la vie, the clear prop it is.

003.JPG

Some small parts, antennae, and touch-ups and this kite is done.

Geo

Nearing the finish line George.
When I made the Eduard P-400 I managed to keep the nose gear down but I don't remember exactly how I stuffed in the weight. Pretty sure it was bits of 1/8" lead sheet since that's been my standard nose weight for years and years.

Same thing with the Hasegawa I'm doing in the Start/Finish Glenn. There's plenty of room for lots of buckshot and I've left the top nose hatch open just in case I have to add more. Thanks Wojtek.

Geo

I missed the bit about the nose weight Geo. I normally use either strips of roofing lead, or lead shot or air rifle pellets, held in place with 'Plasticine', which itself adds a bit of weight. I use the formula 'Weight x 'P', where 'P' = Plenty' !
I add the weight - as much as possible, wherever possible (rather have a heavy model than a tail sitter), then balance the model with a finger tip under each wing tip. If it doesn't drop 'nose down', I add more weight!

Thanks guys and thanks Terry. I did balance it using your method but, far too late, I failed to take into cconsideration, the tall front wheel strut and the much smaller main struts. I tried to put weight in the gun pods but there was little room. I have two more of these wee beasties and believe me, there will be so much weight in the front, the nose strut will look like a bow. Off to play in the mud.

Geo

Thanks Aaron and John. John, they provide a clear rod that mounts in a hole around the wing fuselage join, probably expecting a duffus like me to not add enough weight.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back