**** DONE: 1/48 P-47D Razorback - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good there Glenn. Paul, the formula changed, as did the title, some time ago. It's now called Johnson's PLEDGE Future. I've got a bottle of the 'new' stuff, which is now in a white opaque, shaped bottle, but haven't used it yet, as I still have a small amount of the original stuff left.
From what Glenn says, it looks like more coats might be needed to achieve a gloss finish, which is how I find the 'old' stuff lately, possibly due to its age - must have had this bottle around three years I think - with more air in the bottle than liquid.

It is looking good Glenn but oh my, not looking forward to getting the new Future here. The old has gone off the market but Pledge are telling us it will be back come late winter but not sure what name it's to be called.

The end results seem to be the same, just more cotes over flat paint to get there. My guess is that they have skimped on the solids in the new formula. The six cotes isn't as bad as it seems as it only took me 2 days, before work, after work, and before bed. On the other hand it covered the silver I used on the F-94 in one cote, so maybe if the flat paint is smoothed out with some very fine wet sanding first it would not take as many cotes. Might try it next time.

Thanks for that info Glenn, little points for us all to remember when trying to get that gloss finish and I think you could be right as sometimes I have the devils on job of getting .a gloss finish with our Future equivalent.

The decision of which aircraft to model has been made and the decaling is well under way. I decided to go with Capt. Walter C. Beckham's "Little Demon" of the 351st FS/353rd FG. The decals are around 2/3rds complete with the tail stripes and other small decals to go which I hope to finish tonight. I was somewhat worried when I received the decals as they looked a little out of register' but they went on great and settled into all the crevices with Solvaset.

P5278849.JPG
P5278850.JPG

Last edited:
Rushing like mad to get it done. Didn't realize Tamiya had provided like a hundred stencils. Was up to past midnight the last two nights putting them all on but finished last night and sealed them with Future this morning. Also built the prop and worked on other small bits. No time for pictures now. Maybe tonight

Sounds good Glenn - those myriad stencils can be really time consuming to apply. Looking forward to the pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back