**** DONE: 1/48 P-51D - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

OK to start with I've been reviewing the Eduard and D&T sets. I like the D&T seat and the Eduard detailing set. I I think the seat meets the requirement that Terry pointed out. If not let me know. I really am torn to do the whole D&T set the more I look at it. Saves a lot of freakin (I would use a different work but I will a lot if I do try the PE) PE.

seat_ip.JPG
seat_ip2.JPG
cptfloor.JPG
cptfloor2.JPG
PtSW.JPG
Stbdsidewall.JPG

Here are some cockpit shots from Pecos Bill when it was in at Houston last year. The interment panel has some modern navaids and slight changes accordingly but it's as good a place to start as any.

IMG_3047.JPG
IMG_3048.JPG
IMG_3049.JPG
IMG_3050.JPG

The seat looks good, but it also appears to have the post-war back cushion.
Have a look at Gary's (Geedee) thread on his Mustang cockpit, you'll find all the detail you need there. The instruments in your pics, although in the correct positions, are modern-day equivalents of the WW2 era type, and quite different in appearance.
Don't forget the yellow (sometimes white) tape around the basic six instruments, added to US aircraft in the ETO to emphasise these important instruments, due to the varied (mostly poor) flight conditions encountered.

The seat looks good, but it also appears to have the post-war back cushion.
Have a look at Gary's (Geedee) thread on his Mustang cockpit, you'll find all the detail you need there. The instruments in your pics, although in the correct positions, are modern-day equivalents of the WW2 era type, and quite different in appearance.
Don't forget the yellow (sometimes white) tape around the basic six instruments, added to US aircraft in the ETO to emphasise these important instruments, due to the varied (mostly poor) flight conditions encountered.

Good info, All I have it updated mustangs which all the flying war birds have major navaid updates and some SoF updates that were not seen in the war. Thanks.

Terry, are you taling about the pan under the seat? The Tamiya does not have it but the TD does, easy enough to file (cut) off.

You're welcome Don - Gary's Mustang cockpit is bang on for a WW2 era aircraft, and there's loads of pics in his thread. If you need any more, let me know, and I'll dig out some for you.
No Don, that 'pan' under the seat is probably the relief tank.
The rectangular cushion, on the vertical back rest of the seat, is what I mean. It shouldn't be there for a WW2 ETO Mustang - it should just be the semi-dished seat back. The pilot of the Mustang (all models) sat on a dinghy pack, in the well of the seat pan, and his back rest was the large, B-4 Type, back-pack parachute (the opposite to the P-47 arrangement).
As far as I know, that rectangular cushion was also a flotation device, and it was yellow in colour, and was a post war addition, when I'm guessing a change to a seat-type parachute, with dinghy pack incorporated between parachute pack and harness, was made. It might have been used in the PTO, but that's not my area of 'expertise', for want of a better description.
Unfortunately, most model and accessory manufacturers base their products on current, preserved aircraft, mainly museum exhibits, which seem to have the cushion, and faithfully replicate what they see and measure on the 'pattern' aircraft - including, sometimes, such things as repair patches, replacement (and non-authentic) parts, and quite often, fully extended oleos, where displayed aircraft have been on axle jacks to relieve the weight off oleos and tyres. Faithful reproduction, but if a few questions had been asked at the time of measuring and planning, more period accuracy would have been achieved.
I have seen accurate resin seats without the cushion, but if it can't be removed, then paint it the same colour as the seat (Medium Green) and live with it.

You know with the photos provided above, I was able to look up that particular aircraft. I now know who the owner is and where its located along with its serial number and engine model. Fun what you could do with the intranet.

Thanks again Terry, I looked at the GeeDee build and it is beyond cool, watched the seat also but I was thinking the seat back was the chute for having the pilot in. That Google info. And yes the TD has it.

And Night Fighter Nut, I'll be sharing more of Pecos Bill during the build, thanks for checking in.

That's a good point Don. it could be used to represent the parachute pack (although I'm fairly sure it's intended to be the cushion) if the pilot figure is used, and could also represent the parachute pack, left in the aircraft, if some harness straps were added. Probably the quickest and easiest solution.

OK slow to start but Hey, first I cut the back out of the kit seat and recut the back to fit the hole left. Needs a little clean up but Terry was correct and the seat back had to come out. I'll used the TD set for another build where the water raft is needed.

20160324_153805.jpg

Below is the kit seat un touched and my mod. Yeah I know it needs clean up.

20160324_154814.jpg

Was planing on useing the AeroMaster decals but I just found Georges bird done by EagleCal and I love their work. Naild a set at Spure Brothers.

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Getting a little done and the first thing I found was the seat back that I removed was an integral fit for the seat backing. so I had to modify that also. next in spite of all my due diligence I lost a seat belt. I cut it out looked away and when I looked back it had run away. Plumb gone long gone. so I fitted the rest as best and let it go for now. Maybe Oh maybe it will come home. The Apron my winf made for me is supposed to help keep from feeding the carpet monster and so far it has shown to work. but I still lost two pieces of PE on the seat. I already hate my photogarph as the seat looked ok till i saw it in the photo, got more work to do.

20160326_194800.jpg
20160326_202546.jpg
20160326_203124.jpg
20160326_203129.jpg
20160326_203144.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back