**** DONE: 1/48 P-51D "Petie 2nd" - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

meatloaf109

1st Lieutenant
Jan 1, 2012
north carolina
Username- Meatloaf109
Name- Paul
Catagory- Intermediate
Scale- 1/48
Manufacturer- Tamiya
Model type- North American P-51D
Aftermarket- Maybe a few bits of wire and stuff I find on my desk. Oh, and some aluminium foil probably.

I think everyone is familiar with this fine piece of anglo-american co-operation, as well as this particular paint scheme.
When I was a boy, my best friend and fellow modeler, Pete, recieved a kit of this plane in 1/72nd. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.
Being 9 or 10 at the time, I think it ended up in small pieces in one of our firecracker experiments. (America was a much funner place back then.)
I have always wanted a "Blue-nosed Bird of Bodney", and with the debacle that was the P-35, this is a fine chance to use the foil again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a "hook and eye' up high on the door. As long as the aliens don't have "chair" technology, we should be good. (And I warned both my daughters, for good measure!)

Tamiya doesn't have much by way of cockpit detail on this one, but the pilot is sufficiently "wide in the undercarrage" to hide the non-detail. A couple of pieces of masking tape for his harness, and a couple of wires on the radio, and I'm calling it good.
The fit of the main halves is great however, and they captured the off-set tail beautifuly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread