**** DONE: 1/48 RF-84F Thunderflash - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I know that feeling! I've been searching for one of the large drop tanks for my F-84F - then I discovered there's only one in the kit, as the other pylon carries a 'nuke'!
Darn - I wanted to have the UK-based, 'non nuke' set-up, with a tank on each pylon!

Leave it with me Evan, and I'll e-mail a pic, rather than clutter Glenn's thread. There are two 'transit' tanks, in the kit - the smaller, outboard-mounted items, but only one of the long, large, finned tank, normally mounted on the inboard pylons. Not a big problem, as I could mount the nuke I suppose.

Great thread T-Bolt. Fab work - and that missing part senario must have visited nearly all of us (darn it when that happens!). Still, the replacement was just as good. Your patience on the decal work paid off. 8)

Nice bit of scratch, Glenn. I've got several models missing a small piece, because as mentioned before, my basement floor is colored sprue grey and the little woman always seem to have the vacuum cleaner idling behind me.

Geo

Well, it was good practice anyway. :rolleyes:
I finally got around to making up the serial numbers for the tail. I know I only need two, but as long as I was making them.......
Should be able to put them on tomorrow after work when the clear coat is dry. That and the last two gear doors should finish it up.

P5319784.JPG

Last edited:
Always a good idea to make spares Glenn. I sometimes, though rarely, get smudging on part of the first line of images when I print-out on decal paper, so making a few more covers that, and also insures against a broken or otherwise damaged decal when applying them.
Looking forward to seeing the finished model - I've just struggled against bl**dy stiff hands and wrists to finish mine.

After putting on the tail numbers and much struggle with the landing light on the nose gear it's finially done!
Landing light was a nightmare. Here's the sequence of construction:
1. Misplaced strong reading glasses so working half blind
2. Managed to paint it on the sprue without really seeing it without F-ing it up
3. Cut it off the sprue and pick it up with tweezers and it goes flying
4. After 15 minutes of searching I find it and after much struggle attach it with CA
5. While admiring what a good job I did I realise it's on the wrong side or the gear leg. Reason: The picture of the light is right side up, but the model is upside down.
6. Took it off and it goes flying again.
7. Only 10 minutes to find it this time during which I put my forearm down onto the bottle cap with CA on it (a common occurrence)
8. Put it on, but when the CA takes up its facing crooked.
9. Try again and it finally sticks in the right place facing the right way(the light can be seen in picture 2)

Looking at the pictures I just realized that I had not put on the pitot tube. It's all painted and ready to go so will be on for the official pictures tomorrow.

P6019787.JPG
P6019789.JPG
P6019791.JPG
P6019792.JPG
P6019793.JPG
P6019794.JPG
P6019796.JPG
P6019797.JPG
P6019798.JPG

Last edited:
Nicely done Glenn, it's a cracker!
I know exactly what you mean about the landing lamp! I decided to fit mine after fitting the nose gear, thinking it would prevent damage. Big mistake!
Having experienced a few attempts at getting it in place, I put it down, lightly attached to the tweezers by PVA, whilst I enlarged the mounting hole. I never touched the tweezers, and could see the lamp still attached. But when I went to pick up the tweezers, and lamp, the bl**dy thing had disappeared!
I swear the aliens abducted it!
Ended up making a new one from a piece of rounded clear sprue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back