**** DONE: 1/48 Savoia Marchetti S.M.79 II - Mediterranean Theater of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have been picking away at the 79 over the past few days as there is only 1 month left in this build.
I have attached the elevators and the rudder as well as the leading edge slats.
I have drilled two holes in the wings as well as the side of the canopy hump for the wires. I glued the one end into place and slid the wire through the hump. I will touch up the glue residue later.
I still need to attach the elevator supports as well as some wiring in the tail area.
White theatre band will be added soon.
The engines have not yet been glued as I need to paint the exhausts and the leading edges of the nacelles as well as paint the underside of the aircraft before attachment.

Lots of little touch ups to do as well but they will be done just before the Future application.

Cheers,

jeff

Last edited:
Yep.... looking good.

However , Jeff.... you should think over using masking for airbrushing. I think you would achieve a better effect than the free hand applying. If you assemble a model there is no need to rush. All steps for building have to be thought and carried out not only in slow way but as accurate as it's possible. It is important if you want to get the nice, final appearance of models.

Yep.... looking good.

However , Jeff.... you should think over using masking for airbrushing. I think you would achieve a better effect than the free hand applying. If you assemble a model there is no need to rush. All steps for building have to be thought and carried out not only in slow way but as accurate as it's possible. It is important if you want to get the nice, final appearance of models.

Thank you for your honest comments. I have taken them to heart and I have just finished respraying the model in the base desert yellow with the intent of masking for the camo. I very much appreciate your input.

I have deleted the photos from yesterday's post as they are no longer relevant.

Jeff

Last edited:
Last edited:
Okay. I have painted this plane for the last time! As before, the engines and top of the cockpit area are just set in place to give you an idea of how she will look.
The bracing(?) wire through the cockpit is not secured into the port wing yet, that is why she looks a bit droopy.
I know in real life the edges should be soft but that is not in my skill set so I will live with the harder edges.
Hope you like it.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

We had a brutal snow storm blow through here last night and into this morning and much of everything is shut down so all my out of house commitments are closed or cancelled so I will pluck away. Even Mother Superior has given her blessing.

Cheers,

jeff

Nicely done Jeff. The effect is much better methinks. :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Are you going to apply these brown spots as well?

Last edited:
Nicely done Jeff. The effect is much better methinks. :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

Are you going to apply these brown spots as well?

Thank you, I agree.

Yep, got me a brand new jar of red/brown. Just have to wait for the green to dry as well as cut out a few shaped paper stencils.

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I love having a whole day to do nothing but what I want to do. Grabbed the snowblower this morning and blew out the driveway, took my dog for a walk, worked on the model for a bit then stopped for lunch. After lunch I took the dog outside to play in the snow.

IMG_0112.JPG

After that I came back in and watched a bit of television then took the dog for another walk. Upon returning home I went to the work bench and plucked away some more and here is how she looks at the end of today's toiling.

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

Next time to the bench will see the underside cupola taken care of and then paint for the bottom.

Cheers,

Jeff

I have added the white theatre band to the fuselage and will make sure I also include it on the cupola.

IMG_0144.JPG

That is all,

jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back