**** DONE: 1/48 Sea King Mk 50 – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well I'm up and running. First took a look where I've to make alterations to the windows and happily found only 1 has to be cut out but 2 have to be filled in. I'm also hoping to have the front and rear doors open with views of the inside. But no lights this time.

Here I have marked what needs removing and what needs filling.

120419-1J.jpg

Next I took a look at the inside and checked out the nice selection of ejector pin marks. As luck would have it I have in mind to line the internal walls and floor to add texture to the build, so the only pin marks that will show are the very front set just behind the floor window.

120423-1A.jpg

120423-1B.jpg

This is the material I propose to line the walls and roof of the inside.

120423-1C.jpg

Having ingested this info into my brain cell I tackled the seats, removing the moulded straps. Then set to working on the replacements.

120423-1D.jpg

120424-1A.jpg

120424-1B.jpg

The end result.

120424-1C.jpg

Last edited:
Great work there Vic, especially on the seats and harnesses. I'm surprised that the kit is moulded without open door areas - especially at the price they charge.

Ah.... the parts start to come together.

Just noticed, you removed the molded straps from the seat. Such patience !!! Looks good !

Charles

Last edited:
Thanks Andy and Jerry.

real nice Vic what did you do to remove the seatbelts nicely done.

Just gentle knife work and filing, took a couple of hours all up but did other things while taking a break ant relieve the monotony and frustration of the slow progress.

Having finished with the two cockpit seats I started on the major surgery of the cabin walls.

First up I had to take a template of the window that needs moving. I took a leaf out of Wojtek's book and used the tin from an old soft drink can.

120427-1A.jpg

I then made a plastic template not only to outline the cut area but also as a test template for checking out the new window size and fit.

120427-1B.jpg

I plugged the two unwanted windows and then set about cutting out the new one. Having started I realized while doing a double check against reference photos that I was cutting in the wrong place, so the window was repositioned and the cutting started again.

120427-1C.jpg

Having scored and sawn out the straight lines for the new window, holes were drilled in the corners to help shape the window opening.

120427-1D.jpg

The finished product with thick glue being used as a filler around the window plugs and where I'd stated cutting in the wrong place.

120427-1E.jpg

Next up I started on the doors but I'll fill you in on that later.

This is bringing the airframe into line with the Mk50 Bill. The Aussie government did a number of changes prior to purchase and moving the stbd rear window and blocking the forward widow were part of it. Bear in mind this kit is for a Sikorsky SH 3H.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back