**** DONE: 1/48 Sea King Mk 50 – Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Many thanks for those lovely comments Guys, makes the old heart flutter.

Terry, for the likes of us the buckles are quite easy but fiddly and for the benefit of all I'll run up a pic demo ASAP.

As mentioned earlier today I promised to do a picture account on making the buckles on the hanging straps for this build. But before I get into it, I should say that the idea has come from a similar buckle that our good friend and mentor, Wojtek posted in one of his threads.

First up I gathered the technical bits required to make a small jig. A fine darning needle, a chunk of balsa wood, sewing pins, a pair of snips and I used 30 gauge wire.

1st step is to bend the wire round a thin darning needle and the anchor this into the balsa.

120506-2A.jpg

120506-2B.jpg

Looking at the wire with the loop behind the darning needle, place a couple of pins the thickness of the wire slightly in front and to the outer of each side of the needle. Bend the wire outwards 90 degrees.

120506-2C.jpg

Taking two more pins, position them to the outer side and slightly in front of the last two pins and bringing the wire forward and round the pins so that both ends of the wire are pointing in opposite directions and forming a loop.

120506-2D.jpg

Removing the pins gently from the balsa one at a time you will end up with a buckle shape. At this stage, if it is slightly misshapen it can be corrected with the use of some sturdy tweezers, but be gentle as this gauge wire will bend easily. Personally, I would stat again.

120506-2E.jpg

If the shape is to your satisfaction, snip off the surplus wire. In mine you can see the ends of the wire but normally I would trim this back so that the ends are hidden in the strapping.

120506-2F.jpg

Make the strap from some form of foil threaded through the loop, bent over and sealed.

120506-2G.jpg

As for my today's effort, it's not only been good to have time in the hanger but it's been a fruitful day.

Today I started to put the cabin contents together and do some internal painting, the first thing being the radar room with drop down curtain and scanner. You will also notice in these the jump seat and internal phone just inside the front cabin door.

120506-1B.jpg

120506-1A.jpg

120506-1C.jpg

120506-1D.jpg

No shed today mate, stayed inside in the warm and did a bit more to the chopper cabin. Seats fitted, made a life raft stowed just inside the rear door and started on some chute canisters.

120507-1A.jpg

120507-1B.jpg

120507-1C.jpg

120507-1D.jpg

120507-1E.jpg

120507-1F.jpg

120508-1A.jpg

Vic.... I am really impressed with the detail you have put into this build. Great work... This is the big difference between scale plastic and balsa/tissue. There is just no room inside a model to do this kind of detail.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back