**** DONE: 1/48 Seafire F.XVII - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking very good.

But you might have a trouble with sticking of these underwing radiators. Unless you masked a little bit with a masking tape these radiator slots. Unfortunately a paint coat is a very good preservative against a glue.

Thanks guys, and Wojtek, you are of course correct. That's why I scrape down to bare plastic before joining them ( easier than masking). Each one of the radiator scoops has two inserts, painted black and drybushed with aluminum to highlight the grills. Since the inside of the ducts had to be Sky also, it was either assemble and do a tricky masking job or assemble after painting. I took the lesser of two evils. Thank you for the advice though. I am not always diligent about the gluing surface and it is good to be reminded every now and then.

This is the problem with being away for 6 days, all the best words are already used up. Soooo..great job Bruce and a good recovery on the gap several pages back.

Geo

Thanks guys, and Wojtek, you are of course correct. That's why I scrape down to bare plastic before joining them ( easier than masking). Each one of the radiator scoops has two inserts, painted black and drybushed with aluminum to highlight the grills. Since the inside of the ducts had to be Sky also, it was either assemble and do a tricky masking job or assemble after painting. I took the lesser of two evils. Thank you for the advice though. I am not always diligent about the gluing surface and it is good to be reminded every now and then.

Yep.. the way is a good one as well. Perfect...... and you'r welcome. :)

Additionally, I must mention that a paint can be a reason for bad looking plastic edges ( usually looking "melted" ). It is because a paint doesn't let evaporate the thinner contained in a glue enough quickly. So these edges are affected by the thinner quite long to be melted too deep. Also it might lead to migrating of the glue vapours inside the plastic. I experienced it a couple of times. The surface of a plastic part looks good but it is very soft inside. And it is enough to use just of little strength to destroy a such part totally. At these clear parts the white deposit appears very often.

Thanks everybody. Got some masking and painting done...

...the masking

100_1242_640x480.JPG

...the painting

100_1246_640x480.JPG

...and the result

100_1247_640x480.JPG

There is a little touch-up to do from where the paint crept under the mask, but nothing bad. Most likely won't get anything done this weekend as I am headed to the Rose Center and the American Museum of Natural History tomorrow and then Sunday is Fathers Day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back