--> **** DONE: 1/48 Seafire F.XVII - Post-War Warbirds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seat assembly done, and fitted....fuselage assembled.....:D
8_Seat Done_3566.jpg
9_Seat assembly_3567.jpg
10_Fuselage Assembled_3574.jpg

Looking good Wayne.
Not sure about RN aircraft, but the seat harness shoulder straps on RAF 'low back' Spitfires passed over that bar on the head armour, through a slot (in the armour) behind it, and anchored down inside the rear fuselage, in a similar fashion to that of the 'high back' Spits.
The 'tail' of the 'Y' straps was attached to twin 'Bowden' cables which ran up to the anchor point, with a lock/release attached to it, which was operated by a lever to the right (starboard) side of the seat.
I would assume that the RN aircraft were basically the same.
Also, it's probable that the head armour was painted matt black by this period, like the upper part of the cockpit.

Flare racks were not normally fitted after early Mk1 Spitfires - the Royal Navy might have retained them, but my knowledge of RN aircraft is rather limited.

Interesting info James, thanks.

Well Terry I'm not sure exactly where that belt should go so i just went with the Eduard instruction wrap around the seat, can always add a little'bridge' piece to go up to that bar if necessary...

wings assembled and thinning the rear of the covers under the wings....

11_Wing Assy_3591.jpg
12_Wing Assy_3592.jpg
13_Lower Intakes_3572.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a pic of a Spit. Mk22 head armour and harness slot, although there isn't a harness fitted in this preserved example, the arrangement is the same on the Seafire.
The bar supports the harness, to prevent the shoulder straps falling down behind the seat, and the straps pass through the slot.

Spit harness slot.jpg

Interesting - the diagram shows the harness the way Wayne has fitted it, anchoring on the reinforced cross member.
My apologies, as I always thought the harness used the same mounting points as used on earlier, 'high back' models, and based my response on the Mk.XIV 'low back' which used to be on the UK airshow circuit in the 1980's (now in the USA), which did have the tail strap running, via Bowden cables, to the rear (or mid) fuselage mounting point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back