**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.XIVe - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just put on a primer coat and of course found a few missed spots. I'm going to try super glue/accelerator as a filler for the first time and have a few questions. I've read articles on people doing it but I've never seen anyone mentioning sanding the primer off first, sooooo, do I sand off the primer then hit it with glue? Second, after I use the accelerator, how long do I wait before I start to sand? Thanks in advance.

001.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Good progress there Geo. I've only used superglue straight from the tube - never seem to be able to find accelerator locally.
Theoretically, it would be better to lightly sand the area, to remove at least some of the primer, providing a better 'key' for the glue. But, as it's only being used to fill a shallow depression, this is not that important. I've done it directly onto primer, then sanded as soon as the glue has hardened - minutes in normal use - sanding gently and doing the 'finger nail' test until satisfied.

That awful moment,when, after mentally giving yourself a high-five, you see a sentence coming at you from the horizon. The closer it gets, the more the apprehension and fear rises. It is now close enough to read and the sentence says,"YOU SIR, ARE A DOOFUS".

00811.jpg

Sigh...sand, glue, repeat.

Geo

Good stuff Geo.
One thing with the superglue: I also use straight CA, applied with a toothpick (no accelerator here either), and follow the advice learned from various sources: to sand it within an hour of application. Otherwise the glue becomes 'too hard' and is a friggin' nightmare to remove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back