**** DONE: 1/48 Spitfire Mk.XIVe - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire Marks GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not much to add other than a near stroke after a botched spray-bomb job to the fuselage. The old "one more mist and that's it". Starboard wing and stab started to run, panic, and tried to wipe it off. Now sanding and nail polish remover. :buzzsaw:

001.JPG

Geo

One of my fears when doing a one-off subject is that the decals will fail so while waiting for my painting fiasco to subside I thought I would tackle the prop decals. If these failed it would take some tricky masking on my part. As you can see, they are slightly undersize and not quite the right shape but I think I can touch up with paint.

008.JPG

Geo

Nice! Just check that the prop didn't or did have a metal leading edge strip, mostly painted over. That would account for the tip stripes not meeting the leading edges of the prop.

Thanks all. Charles, the prop came with the kit. There is no way I could duplicate a prop such as you did. Terry, can't find many photos on the web but it looks like a all black prop. Found a couple of other builds and though they are just the modelers interpretations, they also show a black prop. Touch-up complete

009.JPG

Geo

The touch-up looks great Geo, well done. BTW, the thin metal strip I mentioned was painted black, to match the rubberised coating on the prop. The only indication it was there, unless up close, was sometimes a slight gap in the (normally) yellow tips at the leading edge. The fold over the blades was only about one inch each side, so hardly noticeable in 1/48th scale.

It was on all the wood laminate 'Jablo' props, to provide some protection against rain or icing. The blades themselves had a thin rubber membrane coating, for similar protection. To be honest, they can't be noticed unless a couple of feet away, and then you'd need to look closely. They were normally painted in a similar finish, so either matt or semi-matt black, and sometimes showed slight weathering, where the brass showed through. But again, in anything below about 1/24th scale, this wouldn't be seen, and in fact would look 'wrong', especially if weathered, possibly making a 'Jablo' prop appear to be a metal prop.
Far as I remember, the MkXIV used a 'Jablo', but of course both types could be fitted, depending on series production and in-service changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back