**** DONE: 1/48 Tempest MkV - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Another thing that should really have been done before painting was to detail the deck behind the seat. Working with detailed pics, I fashioned the canopy seal out of lead wire and added the attachment gussets for the head armour out of sheet styrene. The rail is a kit-supplied PE part. After all this was done, the area was masked and painted a lightened black. While I was at it, I masked and painted the non-skid walkways as well.

16041701.jpg
16041702.jpg
16041703.jpg

Next it was on with the decals. Lots of stencils on this one so this took quite a while.

16041704.jpg
16041705.jpg

Looks great Andy. Nifty work on the rear deck details and the decals look dandy! Not used to seeing the yellow on the wing roundels.

I applied a wash to the panel lines and tried to keep it somewhat restrained. Happy with the result:

16042101.jpg
16042102.jpg

To finish off the landing gear, I added brake lines and straps, then painted everything in bare aluminum. In hindsight, I'm thinking that perhaps the inner surfaces of the gear doors might have been Medium Sea Grey and am leaning toward redoing that area. Thoughts?

16042103.jpg
16042104.jpg

Nice, subtle panel line work Andy.
The interior colour of the wheel wells, doors etc on Hawker aircraft was normally 'silver'. However, I have seen a short film clip, and one colour photo only, where the wells and only the inner (small) door appeared to be the cockpit grey green, but silver seems predominant.
That said, in some B&W photos, the inner face of the main gear door looks like it might be MSG, and if so, probably re-painted at a MU or even in the field.

Cheers guys and thanks, Terry, for responding. I agree silver was common, certainly on Hurricanes, but I'd suggest the majority of B&W pics of Tempests suggest a colour difference between the inner door surfaces and the oleos, which are almost always silver. I think I will strip these off and repaint them MSG. Easily done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back