**** DONE: 1/48 Tempest MkV - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks good Andy! Do you really need to remove the aluminum paint? I usually paint right over Alclad without any issues.

That sounds like a good plan Andy. I've just been looking at some Tempest pics, and would agree that the inside of the main doors, at least, appear to be MSG.
I also found a few pics where the gear legs are a dark colour, possibly a dark grey, or maybe even dark green, but again the inside of the doors appears to be MSG.

I found this image via the net ... new Tempests in full sunlight ... I would say the MSG on the inner sides of the wheel bay doors.

Hawker Tempest.jpg

Hawker Tempest enlarged.jpg

Yep, thanks my friend. It confirms my conclusion from the majority if pics that I've seen and, Terry, you are right, there are some that appear darker. I did see one silver one too.

John, I didn't mean that I would take the Alcad off but that I would remove the struts from the covers so I wouldn't have to mask them.

The silver struts seem to be the more common type.
I'll admit, even though I'd seen the particular photos many times times, I hadn't really noted the dark-coloured struts, so I had a look at more pics. More dark struts were seen, but as mentioned above, the 'silver' version was more prominent.
I also noticed that, on my model built a few years ago, I just painted the kit doors and fitted them, totally forgetting to make and add the 'profiled', raised panel in front of the struts. So I'll pull them off and add the parts !

Thanks guys. Time for an update.

First of all, I noticed that there was something not quite right with the placement of the main landing gear covers. The kit does not really provide a clear instruction in this regard, nor is there any sign on the parts of how they would fit. After looking carefully at photos, I confirmed that the axle should be higher and hidden by the cover. So, after having removed and painted the insides of the doors MSG, I had to remove the covers again and refit them properly. Below are the before and after pics, with the second photo showing how things should be.
16042801.jpg
16042802.jpg

The resin tail wheel did not have enough meat on it to sit in the well properly so I built an extension out of rod.

16042803.jpg

Next came the retraction struts for the main gear. Below is the kit supplied part for one side which is supposed to represent a very complex assembly. It leaves a lot to be desired.

16042804.jpg

The bit on the left is the retraction jack. I lopped this off and made myself a new one out of rod, aluminum tape, and lead wire:

16042805.jpg

The other linkages were cut up and springs were added using lead wire.

16042806.jpg

And here are all the parts installed before painting them. I decide to lose the lead wire hydraulic lines to the jack as they were so fine that they kept breaking off and, once in the well, are hard to see anyway.

16042807.jpg

And here's how the model no looks, matte coated and standing on its own legs.

16042808.jpg
16042809.jpg

Thanks everyone for looking in.

It's looking brill Andy, and good work on the undercarriage doors and retraction struts.
Does the kit include the small, 'flap' doors for the main gear, fitted between the wing and the gap of the main doors ?
I haven't seen them mentioned.

Thanks all.

For all remaining gear doors, including those mentioned by Terry, I will be using the PE parts. Should get them on this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back