**** DONE: 1/48 Tornado F3 - Home Country Modern Aircraft / Spitfire Mark GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys.I'm still doing the decals, a bit at a time, as it's rather tedious. Once that's done, I'll get back to some 'proper' work - looking forward to doing something different, instead of cutting, soaking, carefully placing and aligning bl**dy decals!

Give yourself a break T and take the Macclesfield tour, add in a pub or two, the odd Hippocroccofrog (perish the thought) and it could take all day………………Stick with it mate, it will be worth it in the long run.

Thanks Vic. I think I'll miss out the Hippocroccofrogs though - doing a bit on the Wessex in between bouts of decal work. It's almost done, with only around another 50 to go, I think! Now that the tricky interior work on the Wessex is virtually done, I hope to get down to work on the Tornado over the weekend, and might even finish those darned decals and get back to construction!

Got back to doing a bit more, adding further decals, but the Tornado very nearly went on a terminal, low-level sortie !
I can definitely say that, in 50 years of modelling, these must be the worst decals I have ever used! With the exception of those decals from the spares files, every single decal has either crinkled, stretched or twisted and curled back on itself, despite every effort to avoid these problems, and it took four hours just to apply a few decals!
Having been pre-warned, by Vic, about the walk way dotted lines, I cut each decal for these into separate sections, but still had trouble - it would be impossible to apply these as directed in the instructions, as single-piece decals!
I've got 3/4 of one side of the upper fuselage walk way lines done, but I'm seriously thinking of masking and painting all the other walk way lines - I've had enough of this, and just want to get on to the next stage!
I'll post some progress shots when some progress has been visibly made, and I've regained some sanity!

For once I can really and honestly say I feel for you mate. I did two of the buggers and it's a wonder my sanity did not flip. Pure grit and determination are the only things that get you through and despite all the good comments I hear about Airfix these days, I still cringe when I see their logo and would have to be desperate before purchasing a kit.

But full marks to you old chap, your perseverance and persistence is nothing short of miraculous.

Thanks very much Charles and Vic.
I'm sitting here looking at the model as I type, and I can see that it should turn out reasonably well - eventually. But an 'average' modeller, and certainly a beginner, would have a terrible time getting it to look any where near acceptable, and I can't understand how, or why, Airfix went through this period of such terrible kits which were priced at 'up market' prices after taking the time to research and design the darned things in the first place. I've 'grown up' with Airfix, and always thought their products were good for the period(s) they were produced, and at very acceptable prices, but this kit, from only 8 years ago, is an abortion, and was originally priced at £25 - a lot of money for a box of tat!
The sad thing is, if produced properly, it could have been an excellent kit, as could the decals, but the latter are too thin on too thick a backing paper, which is causing the problem - they wrinkle like onion skin as they come off the paper and you only have to blink and they'll rip or kink or fold!
Anyway, I'll persevere, and as soon as the decals are finished, I can get back to trying to make the rest of the bits of plastic look like what they are supposed to be representing!

It's a damn shame about the kit Terry. I have never had anything but good experiences with Airfix, but then again, I only build their prop stuff. Most of the jets I build are century series, 1/48 from Monogram and I know the problems already.

Thanks guys. Generally, Airfix kits are good overall, allowing for some that are re-releases of very old kits, some from the 1950s. Their later kits were fine, and some ahead of their time when released in the late 1970s and early 1980s, their 1/48th scale range being good examples.But there was a period where some, like the1/48th Buccaneer and Tornado, ten years apart in their release dates, just don't cut the mustard.
The Harrier GR3 is about to be released in 1/48th, and I'm guessing it will be a re-issue from the old moulds. if so, then it is a 'reasonable' kit which, with some work and additional extra detailing, can produce a good model, but it by no means matches the standards of the average kit produced today, and I personally believe that charging 'today's' prices for such a re-release is a bit naughty - although not as naughty as some manufacturers re-releasing a kit, with different decals, but doubling or trebling the price!
Anyway, grumbles and history lesson over - back to the slog of fighting these decals and then, hopefully, some creative construction!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back