**** DONE: 1/48 Tornado F3 - Home Country Modern Aircraft / Spitfire Mark GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much Wayne. With most of the detail painting now done, the jet pipes on and painted, and the beginnings of the characteristic heavy exhaust staining on the fin, it's actually starting to look acceptable. I've checked over the kit parts for the undercarriage, and whilst not brilliant reproductions of the real thing, they're actually not too bad - if they fit that is. I'm off to get a couple of hours kip, as I had 'one of those nights' - kept waking up - so I'll post some progress pics later today sometime.
Thanks again to all for the kind words and encouragement - I was starting to think this would be another Buccaneer, and not get to the finished stage! (one of these days I'll stick the wings and final small bits on the Buc!).

And here they are.
The matt clear is done, the jet nozzles fitted, a HUD fabricated and fitted, wiring added from the rear seat MFDs, the details painting done, and the airframe dirtied up a bit.
PICS 1 and 2. Wiring made from lead wire and copper wire, which will be hidden behind the pilot's ejection seat.
PIC 3. There were no parts for the HUD included in the kit, other than the switch panel, which was part of the main panel. So the optics were cobbled together from bits of scrap and items from the spares box, with the 'G' meter and angle of attack indicator added from scraps of plastic card.
PIC 4. The jet nozzles have been fitted and painted, and the reverse thrust buckets painted and dirtied.
PICS 5 to 7. Matt clear oat on, and all detail painting complete, and the fin and tail area dirtied, a characteristic of the Tornado, where exhaust gases from the reverse thrust buckets left sooty deposits over the fin and rear fuselage, more noticeable on the F3 compared to the GR4, due to the colour scheme. Although normally clean and neat, in the months before being retired, the F3 fleet was starting to look a bit scruffy.
PICS 8 and 9. The kit parts for the nose wheel leg and main gear legs (one shown here) are somewhat fragile looking and basic, but are reasonable representations of the real thing. With a little bit of work, the addition of brake lines, and some careful painting, I'm hoping they'll do the job. The 'solid' moulded lamp on the nose leg will be hollowed out and glazed, as will the 'blobs' on the main gear doors which are supposed to be landing lamps. I might also add a bit of wiring and detail in the main gear bays, although not much of these areas can be seen, and the nose and main gear doors will also be detailed internally, which is the next job.
Thanks again for your kind comments and continuing interest, and I'll post more progress pics soon.

Attachments

• Tornado GB 300.jpg
    Tornado GB 300.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Tornado GB 301.jpg
    Tornado GB 301.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Tornado GB 310.jpg
    Tornado GB 310.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Tornado GB 318.jpg
    Tornado GB 318.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Tornado GB 320.jpg
    Tornado GB 320.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Tornado GB 324.jpg
    Tornado GB 324.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Tornado GB 325.jpg
    Tornado GB 325.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Tornado GB 290.jpg
    Tornado GB 290.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Tornado GB 293.jpg
    Tornado GB 293.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 87
Thanks very much indeed chaps. There are a few rough areas, which can't really be improved, but it's starting to look like a Tornado and, considering the problems and those areas mentioned, I'm beginning to be relatively pleased with the result so far. Could have been better, but there's a limit to my patience!

Ah, 'other things'.... those hippocrocothingy's again, eh? :)

(Seriously though, hope you get on top of that cold soon mate)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back