**** DONE: 1/48 Tornado F3 - Home Country Modern Aircraft / Spitfire Mark GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just been catching up T and what a fine job you are doing, the squadron would be proud.

BTW have you read the 'Battle Honours' article in this month's Aeroplane 'Heaven will fall for the Enemy.' 56 Sqn in 1917. If not, I can scan it and send it as it has some good photos supporting it.

Thanks very much Vic, and yes, I'd love to read that article - haven't bought 'Aeroplane' for a few months, as I don't often get to the newsagent who stocks it.
Just finished a three hour stint, just fitting the windscreen and working on one main gear leg!
My bl**dy hands need a good talking to methinks!

Thanks Vic, got the article, and currently wearing a Mae West, watching the ducks struggling! Bl**dy weather - seems no end to this rain! I think I'm living in a water processing plant !!

A little bit of slow progress to show.
PICS 1 and 2. The windscreen is on and sealed, although a little re-touching is required, followed by a matt clear coat over the sealer.
PIC 3. One of the main gear legs undergoing some detailing, with the addition of twin brake lines from lead wire. This particular leg will be re-painted, then gloss clear coated. The paint, applied by brush, went on a bit 'lumpy! The data plates will also be re-done.
PIC 4. The lamp on the nose gear leg has been hollowed out, and will eventually be 'chromed' using a paint pen, then glazed with 'Kristal Klear'. Removing the mould lines is rather hard work, as this cheap, glossy plastic is as hard as tungsten. Some detail in the way of wiring and springs will be added, and a replacement main door fabricated.
PIC 5. This is supposed to be the landing lamp on one of the main gear doors.
PIC 6. This is what it should look like.
PIC 7. Work under way improving things. The 'hole' will be cleaned up, backed by thin plastic card, then 'chromed' and finished as per the nose leg. Some form of attachment for the doors to the wheel bays will also have to be fabricated, as the kit instructions require that they are cemented direct to the fuselage - about as useful as a chocolate tea pot!
I might get some more done over the weekend, in between stints on preparing the Halifax kit for construction. Meanwhile, thanks again for your kind comments and interest.

Attachments

• Tornado GB 342.jpg
    Tornado GB 342.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Tornado GB 350.jpg
    Tornado GB 350.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Tornado GB 340.jpg
    Tornado GB 340.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Tornado GB 336.jpg
    Tornado GB 336.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Tornado GB 330.jpg
    Tornado GB 330.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Tornado GB 357.jpg
    Tornado GB 357.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 92
  • Tornado wheel.jpg
    Tornado wheel.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 91
Thanks very much Aaron, it's much appreciated. I'm classing this one as reasonable - there's a lot of parts which could be better. If I ever do another Tornado, F3 or GR1/4, it'll be the Italeri kit I think !!

Thanks Peter.
Got the landing gear legs finished, including the re-paint of the tough one, and the nose wheel leg done, with wiring, springs and lamp.
I'll post some pics tonight, when I get some more done on the doors etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back