**** DONE: 1/48 Wellington Mk.III - Allied Manufactured Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Excellent stuff Terry and many thanks. If you have the time and feel up to sending the book via e mail that would be fantastic and much appreciated.

Quick question for anyone and everyone. The red colour that I am seeing in Terry's pictures, is that fabric dope that would have been sprayed on after the aircraft was completed and that is why it seems to cover some of the geodetic frame or is it some kind of metal protective spray along the lines of zinc chromate ?

Cheers,

Jeff

The red colour is the dope on the fabric Jeff, which was on all the interior fabric, except those areas painted matt black, in the cockpit and nose section. The geodetic structure was 'silver', which as far as I know was done with 'Aluminium', a 'paint' made from clear dope and aluminium powder.
It's probable that at least some areas of the frames had a zinc chromate coating beneath the 'silver', as this is visible on parts of the Cosford example.
I'll e-mail the book to you, along with some more pics of the RAF Museum aircraft interior, scanned from the member's magazine, 'Radar'.
Here's a couple more shots, showing the faded red dope, and traces of the zinc chromate on the 'silver' frames, plus a rather poor shot of one of the bomb bay cells.

Attachments

• Cosfd Consv 6.jpg
    Cosfd Consv 6.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 353
  • Cosfd Consv 7.jpg
    Cosfd Consv 7.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 350
  • Cosfd Consv 15.jpg
    Cosfd Consv 15.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 352
I forgot to mention - the brown appearance on the outside of the fabric, is the red dope showing through from the inside. There was another fabric 'skin' on the outside of the airframe.
The shade of red is the same as seen on the fabric gun port patches on, for example, Spitfires and Hurricanes, and was a standard, dull red dope.

Well(ington), it is not much of a start but construction is underway. I have masked off the canopy parts to begin with and hope to get at her in a bigger way this weekend.

IMG_0013.JPG

That is all for now.

Cheers,

Jeff

Okay, all you armament guys. This kit as you saw in the early post comes with a plethora of ordinance. 250, 500 and 1000 and 2000lb bombs to be carried in a variety of loads. Clearly the easiest and quickest would be 2 X 2000lb but I am wondering how typical a load that would be considering this ship was lost in April 1943.

Please find attached the instruction sheet bomb load options. I guess my question is, is there any of the bombs included that would have been available at the time this ship was lost?

I will only be assembling the bombs that I am using and the rest will go unbuilt into the spares bin.

IMG_0041.JPG

Thanks for your help guys.

Cheers,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back