**** DONE : Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk I V6684 RF-F 303 sqdn (Polish) RAF BoB GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

.......but on the plus side the girl i employed has started now and she is a fantastic chef and hard working and also i've aanother chef starting tomorow morning and if he's half as good i'll be very happy !!!!

happy0034.gif
........That's good to hear Karl and a weight off your shoulders, also hope the new gut works out well and good luck with the so called 2nd I/C.

Will you shoot him, after the thumb screws and slow torture, or just sack him?!!

Terry, you have heard of 'hung, drawn and quartered', well in modern chefs terms it's 'basted, boil and pickles'......................then you shoot (sorry........sack) the bastard.......................:rightfighter4:

ok back on subject, would like to check if the rectangle surrounding the gun ports on each wing were painted red or followed the natural cammo lines as i've seen profiles of Hurricanes with both, was the red colour a later addition after the BoB ????????

Dogsbody, Wojtek the floor is yours :D

Don't quote me on this Karl but my understanding is that the red rectangles are in fact red patches pasted over the gun ports after servicing/reloading and were standard all through the B of B............................hope I'm right............

thanks guys
i thought these were red doped patches but if you look at the profiles on page one i think you can see them in place but the instructions that came with the decals have a plan view that dont show them at all ????

oh and my Sous chef has told me he expects to be leaving in the next few weeks so all my staff problems seem to be solved !!

any body want a job ?

Good to hear you're getting rid of the tw ....er, person !
Yep, the rectangle over the guns was a piece of doped fabric, a dull red to red orange colour, depending on the mix of the dope used to hold it in place. On the Hurricane, it was a single strip on each wing, as the guns were all together. On other types, like the Spit, it was a patch over each gun port, although the central pair on each wing sometimes had one patch over both. All R.A.F. fighters had these, throughout the war, even on cannon where the barrels protruded. They were to prevent dust and dirt entering the muzzles on the ground, but more importantly, to prevent 'wet cold' at altitude, which would freeze the gun barrels, and the working parts, due to damp, cold air being forced down the barrel.
The ground crews used to look out for 'their' aircraft returning and, if they saw the patches torn and smoke streaked, they immediately knew that, apart from the fact the guns had been fired, they'd need to re-arm and check over the guns as soon as the aircraft had taxied in and stopped.

Nice one mate. Got any thin plastic card? If so, see if you can 'box in' the rear bulkhead / armour plate at the back of the cockpit. This should sit in the fuselage, flush with the edges, but I remember the instruction sheet is not clear about this, and should state that the bulkhead needs to be angled and matched to the rear cockpit.
If you fancy having an open canopy, then just attach it with a spot of cement, or a thin bead of PVA for now. I'll be moulding an open section of canopy for mine, and can send you one if you'd like one. It just means carefully cutting off the windscreen, which isn't as difficult as it sounds, and can be done, if necessary, by continuous scoring with a scalpel if you don't have a razor saw or other small saw. Let me know mate, and I'll sort it - found the mould I made when I built the last Airfix one, in the early 1980s !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back