Done : Fw190D-9, "Black 12" of Leutnant Teo Nibel of 10/JG54, Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you very much indeed Mr.G!! It could join your Gutwaffe at Gardermoen, but it's not the right scale to go alongside your marvellous JU88's.

Was just wondering - does this kit come with a seated pilot figure? One day I'd like to do an in-flight build of this aircraft.

Yes, the kit includes a seated pilot figure, which is quite nicely moulded. However, the pose could be better, as it appears 'he' is asleep, slumped with his chin on his chest, and hands on knees!

Hey, I consider any seated pilot figure to be a gift. If a kit doesn't come with them, and most don't, you have a world of surgery ahead. Fitting a standing figure (and most of them seem to be made this way) into a cockpit is no easy task. And making the arms positioned so that they're holding onto the joystick is often more work than it's worth. Even seated figures that aren't designed for the particular kit you're working on can require a surprising amount of sanding to get them to fit. Sometimes they're downright impossible to use. This, combined with the difficulty of closing the landing gear doors and providing a stand are the main reasons to avoid in-flight builds.

That's coming from an in-flight build fanatic over here.

Last edited:
I just found this as I'm in the process of making a model of Nibel's 'Bodenplatte' aircraft.

First of all good job sir! I hope mine comes out so well!

Secondly, I was wondering about the 'Varus Teutonicus'. I understand these to be two of the five code words prepared for the operation. 'Varus' was a 24 hour standby and 'Teutonicus' was the authority to brief the pilots and prepare the aircraft.

Finally Manrho and Putz reckon that Nibel was delayed by a frozen flap which had to be cleared. It was Kragelow whose engine failed to start and these two were the last off from Furstenau. Both ended up as PoW, Kragelow being very badly injured. His 'Dora' was the subject of a previous 'Bodenplatte' build I did.

PRQ_web_zps1ca1521e.gif

Bodenplatte is an operation that has always fascinated and appalled me in equal measure. Ultimately it amounted to little more than an expensive and futile gesture.

Cheers

Steve

Only just spotted this Steve, after so long !
First, thanks very much for the compliment !
Second, your model looks the biz !
Yes, I believe you may be right about the frozen flap, although I've read of both versions. And you're correct about the 'Varus Tuetonicus' - Warning Order (Standby) and Executive Order (Go). I decided the use the complete code, as I believe, from various accounts, that both words were used in the final Executive Order, according to some accounts I've read. I need to get the 'Bodenplatte' book (by Norman Franks, if my memory is correct) back from the friend I loaned it to around 10 years ago !
I presume you have it or have read it - very comprehensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back