Done : Fw190D-9 14./JG 26, IV Gruppe of Oblt. Hans Dortenmann Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, this will be my progress thread for my 1/32 Hasegawa Dora, which I will most likely be doing in the colours of this bird (top):

ec60cover.gif

I started on the cockpit last night, I'll post pictures later. I have the Eagle Cals left over, so I may as well use them.

Thats a real bitch aint it? I noticed it heavily on the yellow on the roundels on my Corsair ,I picked up that painting the area white before hand is a great solution! Do you think you would to do that?

There is soooooooooooo much info out there on the net for Dortenmanns Black 1... Alot of reference material for this build....

Our very own Mr. Wayne Little did this very build himself.... Below are some pics of his Dora, as well as a 2 references for u Cory......

Oh and BTW, as u can see, the ENTIRE tail is Yellow, not just the rudder..... This has been confirmed...

I will eventually do this build to match it up with my Dortenmann A-8 I did... Its a frickin beautiful crate.... I cant wait to see how u do with it.... Wayne will be a big help with this build....

Attachments

• Dortenmann_Black_1_2004[1].jpg
    Dortenmann_Black_1_2004[1].jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 245
  • Dortenmann_Black_1_2008a[1].jpg
    Dortenmann_Black_1_2008a[1].jpg
    93 KB · Views: 235
  • Dortenmann_Black_1_2014[1].jpg
    Dortenmann_Black_1_2014[1].jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 247
  • Dortenmann_Black_1_2018[1].jpg
    Dortenmann_Black_1_2018[1].jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 238
  • Dortenmannb_Black_1__14_JG_26_Version_2_of_3.JPG
    Dortenmannb_Black_1__14_JG_26_Version_2_of_3.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 754
  • Dortenmann_Version_2_of_3.JPG
    Dortenmann_Version_2_of_3.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 243
Very nice choice Cory!
First, that yellow!
Apply a thin coat of Matt white, NOT grey, as the latter doesn't like yellow! When the white is totally dry, give it a very light rub-down, with fine wet n dry, used wet. When dry, apply a couple of THIN coats of yellow, ensuring the first coat is TOTALLY dry before applying the next. If there are any lumps, bumps runs etc, give them a light rub-down, as above, before the next coat. If possible, it is better to airbrush, but a hairy stick is just as good if all else fails. NOTE:- This yellow 'tactical' paint was often a 'distemper' type of washable paint, so don't be too concerned if it doesn't turn out pristine. The thing to look for is lumps, drags or heavy brush marks, which are a b*st*rd with yellow, as you probably know!
Second. I've got the pic shown with Wayne's model, and a profile which, although it doesn't have the yellow on it, is otherwise fairly accurate. I think I might have another pic also, plus some plans/drawings and cockpit info, if you'd like them. Give me a shout and I'll e-mail them.
Cheers,
Terry.

Thanks for the info guys!

Dan: Great info, as I didn't realize that the whole tail had remained yellow. Thanks for the profiles!

Terry: Thanks for the tips for painting the yellow! It was a b!tch to paint on my smaller Dora, hopefully that will help. And I also have that picture Terry, it came with the decals. Thanks for the offer though!

OK, no probs. Dan's right, Wayne's info will be accurate; the profile I have depicts the machine without the yellow, but mentions in the text that the yellow was added at a later date, or something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back